Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

General Allen Whistle Recording

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2007, 01:57 PM

Default General Allen Whistle Recording

I have just been fortunate enough to obtain a CD of the Whistle being blown at LaCrosse in 2002 on the Julie Belle Swain. As the whistle is on display at the Murphy library there, I contacted them & the man responsible for the recording has made me a copy. The recording is quite long & they used the whistle to record many "landing calls" of various Steamboats & Barge lines. My father worked on the General Allen, then a U.S. Corps of Engineer Boat, from 1922-1930 & ended up as a pilot so he blew this whistle many times. Thanks again to Keith Norrington for steering me to this source of information, what a "Blast from my past"!!!

Posting Rules