Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   Kate Adams and Liberty (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/141-kate-adams-liberty.html)

wild_wilson 06-08-2006 07:54 AM

Kate Adams and Liberty

I 'm new to the forum, and wanted to pick your brains about two river steamers, the Kate Adams and the Liberty. I am researching a man who supposedly worked on these and other steamers around 1862. He is said to have sailed on the Kate Adams from Paducah in 1862. He is also said to have worked as a barber, photographer, and a porter on other steamers, including the Liberty about the same time period. Does anyone know anything about these boats?

Carmen 06-14-2006 10:19 AM

There have been 3 boats named KATE ADAMS but none of them fits into your time frame. There have been 6 LIBERTYs. One (#3451) was a sternwheel packet built in Wheeling, VA, in 1857. 261 tons, owned by Capt. Charles Booth and others and operated Wheeling-Parkersburg with occasional trips to Cincinnati. Sold in April 1862 to Mason City Coal Co and snagged at Twelve Pole Creek on Dec 27, 1862. So this might also not be your boat. The next LIBERTY listed in Fred Way Jr. Packet Directory was built in 1889. Way is listing boats starting in 1848. So I assume that the year 1862 must be wrong.

Carmen

johnlewis 06-19-2006 06:40 AM

I would suggest you get a copy of Captain Fred Way's "Packet Directory" available on Amazon. There was both a Liberty, and a Kate Adams. One Liberty was built in 1857 and sank in 1862. This boat served the Wheeling, West Virgina and Cincinnati trade. There were six other Liberty Boats. One was built in 1861 and later ram Louisville to Memphis. He could have worked on this one. There were three Kate Adams boats, but they were all built after 1882, that would have been 20 years after the date you are referring to.

DougWilson 07-12-2006 08:10 AM

Thanks Carmen. My user name has changed, but I appreciate your help.

DougWilson 07-12-2006 08:13 AM

Thanks John. The Kate Adams reference comes from a newspaper report from the 1870s. Perhaps the newspaper made an error. Anyway, I appreciate your help and will obtain a copy of Fred Way's book.

Linda Fisher 07-12-2006 09:18 PM

Doug, I work at the Howard Museum and will see what I can dig up on Kate Adams tomorrow. I found a newspaper article on web about her maiden voyage, however, if there were actually 3 Kate Adams it may not be the first one. The date on this one is Dec. 23, 1882 and it lists the names of crew.
[url]http://www.rootsweb.com/~ardesha/journal.htm[/url] is the website it is from the Arkansas City Journal. Here is some of what it says:

WHAT WILL HAYS THINKS AND SAYS OF HER
The Louisville Courier-Journal of last Friday has this paragraph concerning the new beauty: "A clear case of 'yonder she comes, here she is, there she goes,' took place in our harbor last evening. The new and beautiful sidewheel passenger steamer Kate Adams, built by James Rees & Sons, Pittsburg, for the Memphis and Arkansas City trade, passed down in front of our city like a blue streak of greased lightning. She had been expected during the day, and many people were disappointed in not getting to see her, and a great many hoped to have the pleasure of visiting her last night. All were disappointed, for she shot by without stopping her wheels, dived into the canal like a thing of life, and is, no doubt, this morning many miles down the river, going like a racehorse and headed for Memphis. Capt. W. C. Tichenor was on the roof, Mr. Will Rees was in the office, the passengers were at supper, and, as old Ike remarked: 'Gentlemen. dat dar boat wur a-gwine down de ribber so dam fas' dat the cap'n wur afraid to let go de bell and go in out'n de cold ter wa'm hisse'f.'"

ROSTER OF OFFICERS
All of the officers of the Dean Adams, except Steward Matson, were transferred to the new boat. Their long and faithful service in the line entitled them to this recognition, and certainly the patrons of the Dean will be glad to find on board the Kate Adams all their old friends.

The roster is as follows: Mark R. Cheek, Master; A. L. Cummins, Chief Clerk; W. Outlaw, Second Clerk; A. L. Cummins, Jr., Bill Clerk; Henry Powers, Chief Mate; Thomas Kelly, Second Mate; Louis Botto, Chief Engineer; John Botto, Second Engineer; William Hopus, Pilot; Elisha Evins, Pilot; Frank Norris, Steward; Joseph Flynn, Barkeeper. Every one of them well known and deservedly popular in the trade.