Thread: Howard Museum Open House - Thanks!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky

Default Howard Museum Open House - Thanks!

Thanks to ALL who attended the Holiday Open House at the Howard Steamboat Museum yesterday afternoon. We had a larger than usual turnout of visitors and fewer than usual "hands on deck" to deal with crowd control, etc. With the ongoing back porch new reception area/gift shop project temporarily closing the usual entrance, it was a bit of an inconvenience for people to make the long trek from the parking area, through the gate and around to the side (once the carriage entrance) door. The construction work is stirring up LOTS of white dust and, although I cleaned and dusted ALL of the model and exhibit cases on Friday afternoon, you could write your name on the tops of them yesterday! Oh well, I tried!

The Big Muddy String Band never fails to please and there was always a crowd at the music room door, with many people sitting on the floor inside to enjoy the toe tapping tunes, including many by the late Capt. John Hartford. The gift shop, offering a 10% discount, did a brisk business, judging from all the bags of "steamboat booty" I saw in the hands of visitors. THANKS! Revenue from the gift shop helps keep the lights on and the doors open, not to mention helping to pay the cost of heating the 22 room mansion! It was really great to visit with old and new river friends yesterday and I hope everyone enjoyed the afternoon. Come back soon and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Watch for news of upcoming programs in the "River Ramblings" series!

"Curator Keith"
    Last edited by Keith Norrington; 12-19-2006 at 09:21 AM.