Thread: The end of the '07 UMR steamboating season

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The end of the '07 UMR steamboating season

With the departure of the AMERICAN QUEEN today from Davenport, the 2007 steamboating season comes to an end here on the Upper Miss. Its a long time until next July...but the AQ will be making enough trips up here her crew could become legal residents of Iowa...sadly though, the AQ will be the only QUEEN to grace our stretch of the river, a portent of things to come I hope not... Here are 3 pictures of her last appearance, and while it is November, she lucked out on the weather for the most part. Today was sunny but breezy and about 50. Pix 1, even though we're past Halloween, could be titled The Headless Horseman - note that not only are her stacks down, but her pilothouse as well. This was taken from the Rock Island levee, just after they left the lock, with Davenport in the background. Pix 2 The pilothouse crew is now the wingbridge crew. They lowered the pilothouse coming out of the lock and stayed out on the wingbridge until clearing the I 280 bridge some 8 miles downriver. I imagine it was a bit brisk out there. Pix 3 My Artsy Attempt If anyone was watching the webcam, you didn't see me, as I was huddled by the lockhouse out of the wind. This is a shot of the lockmen's security mirror reflecting the AQ and the Oregon Duck-clad me taking the picture into the mirror. 2 of the 334 pax aboard were Jack and Betty Forbes of Midwest Riverboat Buffs. Fare thee well, AQ and crew, until next season!
    Last edited by Judy Patsch; 11-15-2007 at 02:18 PM.