Thread: Steamboating and steamboaters' friend

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Steamboating and steamboaters' friend

Today marks a decade that we have been without one of steamboating's friends and a dear friend and mentor of many steamboaters - Dorothea Frye. DF was an amazing woman whose formal education ended with the 8th grade, but whose knowledge was encyclopedic and diverse. From her childhood, when one of her school friends was Doris Day, to her later years with her cherished friendship with John Hartford, DF had room in her heart for all. Betty Blake, Doc Hawley, Roddy Hammett, Jane Greene, Sharon Wright, Dale Flick, Keith Norrington, and I were just a few of those who shared our laughs and tears at 520 Probasco over the years. DF and I shared a bond outside of steamboats - we both had 'difficult' mothers to care for, and we both had 'perfect' sisters who lived afar - so many a late night I vented over the day's aggravations with DF via Ma Bell. We were truly blessed to have had Dorothea Frye in our world.

1) October 1986 Larry and Ethel Walker and Dorothea made annual 2 week pilgrimages to New Orleans in October for over 30 years. This was taken in the patio at CCH's. I was working year round on the NATCHEZ at the time.
    2) Taken by Keith at 520 Probasco in April 1995. DF's bed's headboard is adorned with rosettes from the AVALON. Her hand is over a sketch she did of Betty Blake, which far surpasses the professional one in the BB Lounge on the DQ. There's also a bottle of Old Betty Blake Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey on the bookshelf.
    3) Dorothea posing on the landing at the Howard Museum with one of her DELTA QUEEN paintings on the wall. DF always put familiar people in her paintings. In this one, she, Ethel, and Larry are at the railings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frye.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	4933   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frye_0001.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	4934   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frye_0002.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	4935