*Accidents/Doctors & Lawyers*
Morning, steamboating colleagues,
Right, Jim, RE: "50 lawyers on the scene today." Also back then no OSHA regulations, major union involvement, insurance underwriters lurking, poking around for this n' that. I'm foggy on the date of the above elevator accident but wonder if the elevator was operated with an electric drive motor or steam? Many early elevators were steam operated. Yet, doesn't sound much different from present day elevator malfunctions (granted, few) or escalators in shopping centers, air terminals going crazy with riders piling up on the bottom floor. Medical skills then usually based on homeopathic or holistic approaches. 'Time' was one factor in natural healing if, indeed, it happened. Convalescence, if at all, could take months to years with most acute cases ending in disability.

I read/heard that the Howard Yards were perhaps a bit more socially aware and supportive of their yard workers when injured or ill with personal visits, baskets of food and home needs. I wonder if any records show any continuing salary for those off extended periods of time? Shipyard work was dangerous then and even now. Other old records mention workers suffering falls, acute trauma, burns, blood poisoning from wood/metal, exposure to weather etc., no antibiotics or advanced pain killers. Daily, weekly, monthly wages for working men and women then dreadfully low. The 'good old days' we say? No way. Keep these stories coming!

Summer: From the northern shores of mighty Lake Michigan.