*RE: 'Hydraulic' elevator/"Personal" etc.*
Morning, steamboating colleagues,
Thanks, Jim, for notes on the "hydraulic elevator in 1882" as I'd not thought about any other system than steam or emerging electrical motors. Seems now ages ago I either read or heard orally (possibly from Loretta Howard herself) about a Howard yard employee who was either ill or suffering from a work injury and confined at his home with wife and family. Story was 'somebody' from the Howard family had the cook whip up, pack a big hamper with food and other supplies that were personally delivered to the family by a Howard horse and carriage that included a personal 'visit' to see how the man was doing. I think you're right about such things like that then being more "personal."

Not many years ago then newspapers CINCINNATI ENQUIRER and CINCINNATI POST converted over to new 'hydraulic' printing presses running directly off water from city mains. In printing in the evening they noticed the ink print fading out. Problem was home consumption of water then increased later in the day with main pressure falling. They had to install booster pressure pumps to keep the water pressure at a uniform level for print run.

I recently read a longish penned memoir written years later by a man who had apprenticed at the famed 'Cramp Ship Yard' up on the east Coast. He wrote of the bad working conditions, danger of many jobs then. He also mentioned the long rows of saloons and taverns that lined the streets around the vast yards where many yard workers went at lunch time for a drink or two; then back on the job around dangerous machinery. Many also hit the gin mills after work for more drinks. He wondered in his old age that there weren't more accidents in the yard due to men drinking at lunch. Many workers carried their lunch to work in those metal pails we see in old photos. Good stuff, Jim, and keep it coming.

Summer: R. Dale Flick from the northern shores of mighty Lake Michigan. *Will return to Cincinnati just before Labor Day.