Thread: Interactive 3 D model of the Chaperon

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Virtual tour of the Green River steamboat CHAPERON

Carmen suggested that I post this as a new thread:

For the last couple of years I have been working on a 3D model of the CHAPERON using the open-source modelling software Blender. You can explore it at the Verkehrsmuseum Dresden (Museum of Transport) or on my website at https://www.jensmittelbach.de/steamboats/chaperon/. I also provide image downloads at https://www.jensmittelbach.de/steamb...resources.html that might be used by model builders.

The virtual model is based on scale model plans by John A. Braynaert. Since these are rather incorrect I used photographic evidence from the Murphy Library at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. There are some photos of the CHAPERON (and the J.C. KERR respectively) and I was able to identify some formerly unidentified ones as CHAPERON or KERR photos. Most notably there is a photo of unknown crew members on a forecastle that must have been taken on the J.C. KERR.

John Fryant took notice of my work and wrote a short article about it in the December 2018 issue of the S & D Reflector. He gave me some advice as to the coloring and some technical detail. There are, to my knowledge, no photos extant of the interior of the CHAPERON (the supposed cabin view of the J.C. KERR at the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County shows, to my mind, the interior of the EVANSVILLE). So my version of the CHAPERON's cabin is based on the EVANSVILLE's. Alan Bates' The western rivers engineroom cyclopœdium was a main source for modelling the boilers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front view.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	10464
    Last edited by Jens Mittelbach; 02-10-2019 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Image added