Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interactive 3 D model of the Chaperon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Interactive 3 D model of the Chaperon

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Reising View Post
    George Washington Mac Clellan Stephens (Mac Stephens) come on as mate. Mac was an old man, he spent most of his life on Green River, he worked on the CHAPERON with Courtney Ellis
    Wonder if my 3D model of the CHAPERON is close to what he saw every day when he was on that boat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PortView.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	10463

Jens,

This is absolutely awesome!

I though it´s better to move your answer and start a new thread for this.

Carmen

Carmen,

Thanks, I'm going to do that.

Default Virtual tour of the Green River steamboat CHAPERON

Carmen suggested that I post this as a new thread:

For the last couple of years I have been working on a 3D model of the CHAPERON using the open-source modelling software Blender. You can explore it at the Verkehrsmuseum Dresden (Museum of Transport) or on my website at https://www.jensmittelbach.de/steamboats/chaperon/. I also provide image downloads at https://www.jensmittelbach.de/steamb...resources.html that might be used by model builders.

The virtual model is based on scale model plans by John A. Braynaert. Since these are rather incorrect I used photographic evidence from the Murphy Library at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. There are some photos of the CHAPERON (and the J.C. KERR respectively) and I was able to identify some formerly unidentified ones as CHAPERON or KERR photos. Most notably there is a photo of unknown crew members on a forecastle that must have been taken on the J.C. KERR.

John Fryant took notice of my work and wrote a short article about it in the December 2018 issue of the S & D Reflector. He gave me some advice as to the coloring and some technical detail. There are, to my knowledge, no photos extant of the interior of the CHAPERON (the supposed cabin view of the J.C. KERR at the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County shows, to my mind, the interior of the EVANSVILLE). So my version of the CHAPERON's cabin is based on the EVANSVILLE's. Alan Bates' The western rivers engineroom cyclopœdium was a main source for modelling the boilers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front view.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	10464
    Last edited by Jens Mittelbach; 02-10-2019 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Image added

Jens, Your 3D model is EXCELLENT !! Wunderbar!

Did you use a specific CAD software to create the geometry, then import into Blender? Or was it all done in Blender?

Steve, All done in Blender. Also the texturing for Blender's rendering engine Cycles.

Some things remain obscure. The ladies' restroom arrangement is rather unclear to me. I assume it must have been similar to the TELL CITY's. This photo allows a glimpse into the rear part of the boiler deck. No indication of any cubicles at the very end. Instead you can see a window in the aft bulkhead. So I assume the lady's restroom must have been in the prolongation of the state room aisle, eg. starboard (whereas the laundry might have been on the port side)?

Ok, thanks. So I assume Blender has CAD features built into it for drawing the 3D model, then applying textures.

Well, Blender is not, technically, a CAD software. Modelling is based on polygons. But that said, you can model almost anything in Blender. And it's free, so have a go: https://www.blender.org

Northern California above Lake Oroville on "Dewey Mountain"

This is amazing! I really enjoyed it, EXCEPT!!! I want to see the engine room!! :)

David,

Thanks, and I share your passion for the engine. However, the engine room really is a challenge that I haven't dared address yet. It's not just the engine itself (and the question of its exact type) but also the numerous auxiliaries that make the setup very very complex. While in my Blender file I set up an animation of the wheel movement (cf. https://jmiba.tumblr.com/post/145953...ed-stern-wheel), the engine room remains largely empty for now.