Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Interactive 3 D model of the Chaperon

I have a question....I know that James Hines as a young man was pilot on the CHAPERON...was his brother Duncan Hines, of cake mix fame? I know they were kin, but not exactly sure how. James would go on to found Hines Towing which was bought out by ACBL sometime in the 80's.

Jim, Barry Griffith might know. I'm not sure if he is still on this forum. You could post and reach him on my Gas & Diesel Sternwheel Boat group on facebook. He worked for Hines.

HI JIM: Duncan Hines was the brother of James G. Hines, who was on the Chaperon. As to the Hines boats as you and I know, that was James R. Hines who was the son of James G. Hines and the nephew of Duncan L. Hines.

Jim: I think I reversed the James HInes. James R was on the Chaperon and James G was who we knew for the Hines boats in our time!!! I think now I got it right.

Thanks Bill......as you might remember I built the model of the CHAPERON from the kit several years ago. Nobody, except a steamboat nut, ever heard of the CHAPERON but when you tell them the boats pilot was Duncan Hines' brother, the story becomes a lot more relevant. Everyone knows the name Duncan Hines.

Northern California above Lake Oroville on "Dewey Mountain"

I understand--it's a lot more complicated than a cabin or deck! Hope you can get to it someday though.