Thread: Another of my many questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Another of my many questions

Since the DQ's COI lapsed 10 yrs. ago and with it, supposedly, all of the grandfathered clauses, does that mean that any material now used in repairs have to be fire resistant? With the grandfather clause any repairs or replacement could be done with original material, ie. a rotten section of wood deck could be replaced with wood. Now does a rotten section of deck, or stateroom door, or window sill have to be replaced with steel or some other approved fire resistant material? Just curious

HI JIM: In my opinion it will have to be replaced with new state of the art materials. No Grandfather allowed. I was involved with Bernsteins purchase of the Emerald Lady. That boats COI was allowed to expire, the boat was nine years old, all steel and Capt. Alan fought the CG at every step of the way. I personally think the DQ owners have no idea whats in store for them, time and money wise. I've been dealing with CG regulations for over 60 years and I do not envy their task to comply. Time will tell

BILL...I agree with you. No matter what, it's still a business, you have to take emotions out of the equation and deal with numbers and to me the numbers just don't add up. I know people will say I'm a naysayer, but I think I'm more of a realist. At some point I believe they are going to have to say it's just not possible. The cost and time it will take to get the boat running and in condition for the CG to issue them a COI will be so great they can never pay off the debt they are going to have to incur. I hope I'm wrong.

Default Time will tell

This is an excellent question. This depends on the DQSC approach to the yard availability. State of the art materials will be called for. The question is, do you repair one item at a time, or do you take a more radical approach? Remove everything below the waterline, hull and all, and start over. I think all new plumbing, electrical, boilers, fuel tanks, gray water tanks, fresh water tanks, galley, just about everything would be cheaper and easier to get the CG to go along with instead of trying to cobble togther repairs. I have coordinated many shipyard availabilities over the years from a financial standpoint. Biting the bullet, being realistic saves time and money. That has been my experience. The Coast Guard has a long history of keeping cutters much longer than the Navy. The old Hamilton Class High Endurance Cutters are now retired after fifty years of hard service. Patch work repairs are less effective than aggressive plans to do what is required to get the job done. I hope the DQCS takes an aggreesive approach, it what will be required to have her ready for the 2020 cruising season, a very daunting task.