Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: High Water On The Ohio - then and now

Morning Bill and all,

News report is that one barge is under a roller at the McAlpine Dam with speculation it could impair control of water level. Now only one barge afloat of the nine on the dam.

Video of Barges Hitting McAlpine Dam.

WAVE channel 3 has posted the following report including video of the tow getting away.

http://www.wave3.com/2018/12/26/barg...morial-bridge/

I think a combination of those things. Barges are loaded heavier than they used to be. Outdrafts are wicked, and did not exist with the old wicket-type dams, which were lowered and tows ran over them during high water. There was more “tie up and wait” in the olden days, now it’s go, go, go, all the time. Pilots not as familiar with the areas they’re running — the office (and many pilots on the website
) think they can go anywhere, and the mindset among many on the boats is that the Ohio is a “retirement river”, where it’s as easy as it gets.

Morning Josphine,

Yep, agree with all of those observations. Since I last updated this thread the Rising Sun ferry has closed a total of 17 days due to wind and high water. I have seen them out with a torch fixing the ramps twice. I wish I had an audio channel because some of the crew discussions standing on the car barge were very automated. Sadly, we do not train pilots today as they did in the old school but I suspect their colorful language still flourishes especially when you mess up a landing with paying passengers on board.

Keep your steam up!

Russ