Thread: Mike Fink

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Mike Fink

A Cincinnati icon is being sent "up the river", the Mike Fink restaurant is going to the upper Ohio. Blt. at Dravo's Neville Island yard in 1936 as the John W. Hubbard. She carried the whistle and roof bell off of the packet Queen City. Ohio River Co. bought here in 1947 and changed her name to the Charles Dorrance. Capt. John Beatty acquired the boat about 1965 and it became the Mike Fink restaurant at Cincinnati, moving over to Covington, Ky. and bought in 1977 by Ben Bernstein. Stayed put for 31 years, good food and drink. 2008 I was involved with putting a new hull on her at McGinnis South Point. Has sat idle the last ten years. My good friend C.W. " Bill" Kinzeler and I had bi-weekly lunch on her for at least her last ten years as the place to be on "Ole Man River". Hate to see her go, but it is a whole lot better than the scrap yard.

Thanks for this news, Bill. Where is she going, and what will be her new purpose? I ate dinner on there probably three or four times and as you say, the food, drinks and service were always very good.

*MIKE FINK 'sold up the river'*
    Morning, steamboating colleagues,
    Bill, thanks for update on present status, future plans for the MIKE FINK. I hope her new owners give her a good home, new lease on life. The FINK was popular for sure as you know with great food/beverages/view of the river and Cincinnati. MOR had several big meetings aboard the FINK in the upper level dining/meeting room--and there was a big crowd attending in those years.

I also read/saw where the FINK's present status moored off Riverside Drive, Covington, had the local uppity gentry riled up demanding her removal. A river restaurant business no easy road to navigate as you know with not only food and beverage management with quality control but the issues of being a floating entity subject to weather and river conditions, vessel maintenance. You bet I remember Bill Kinzler and his wife. Always friendly to me. Bill even offered me a job possibility years ago in his business office. I let it pass and never picked up on it. Good thing as I think they shut down within a few years. I know Virginia Bennett worked for Bill and, possibly, Mickey Frye.

R. Dale Flick
    Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati