*Yukon steamers/Wood yards*
Steamboating colleagues,
Thanks, Luke, for follow comments above. Yes, I also noticed the boat's officer/Purser or whatever 'measuring' the impressive stacks of cord wood for, no doubt, his purchase. I also saw the one crew man handling the wheeled wood cart or bin from the bank down to the boat's deck on the rail track--and it went fast. I can only wonder what the fuel bill $$ was for the cord wood? No doubt use of plentiful wood a blessing during the rationing days of World War II with other petroleum products scarce. With Alaska's huge forests wood today still a major item in usage along with export to the lower states, Japan, China, Europe etc. The Yukon boats had that 'certain' look so much resembling steamboats on the Sacramento and other rivers and bays in the Pacific Northwest. Their lower decks completely enclosed around freight storage, wood supply, boilers and engines--not partially open like our Mississippi/Ohio and other steamboats. Before winter set in Alaskan boats hauled out of the river on tracks for land storage until spring. The navigation season so short in Alaska I wonder how they made enough money to cover the long months of winter laid up? Again, the more I view this movie the more I see. Our local area here in Michigan where I summer once a way-stop for the French fur traders. Many local names in the small village here have French roots.

R. Dale Flick on the shores of mighty Lake Michigan for the summer.