Steamboating colleagues,
This may be pretty boring news to some but always good to know what's going on in the travel industry and what the other kids on the block are doing in upscale cruises, land travel.

Recent statistics just in for end of year 2017 going into 2018. 'Luxury' travel in areas of: European & American River cruises, blue water ocean cruises, land travel UP a stunning 64%. This includes not only luxury river cruises but travel to Italy, Mediterranean, United States, United Kingdom, Ireland. With cruise vessels the top expensive categories usually always sell out first; then down to the least expensive if available. What is this telling us? There are more than a few with the upper disposable incomes who can and will pay for it: larger modern vessel cabins, close weave sheets and fluffy towels, bath robes, TV/WIFI, private veranda decks, elevators, food, 'courtesy beverages,' shore excursions, on-board entertainment and theme lectures on and on. Food for thought.

A friend E=Mailed asking if, possibly, the recent FORBES report/article on "Top American River Cruises" [ACL & AMERICAN QUEEN] could have been "influenced" by advertising dollars? I pulled, read it seeing NO advertisements [i.e. 'bribery'] in this financial report finance journal. That's all I see and know.

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.