Thread: The Unglamorous Life of a Towboat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Unglamorous Life of a Towboat

Packets got the romance and glory, towboats did the heavy lifting. https://lostamericafound.blogspot.co...f-towboat.html

Default Interesting, but a correction

At the end: there is another surviving steam sternwheel towboat, the LONE STAR, which is in LeClaire Iowa as part of the Buffalo Bill Museum. She was the last operating steam sternwheel towboat on the Upper Miss, being retired in 1966. You can climb about her inside a building put up recently to protect her, and there are other towboat related items on display in this building.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LONE STAR today_0001.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	9886   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LONE STAR today_0002.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	9887   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LONE STAR today_0003.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	9888  

And don't forget the Str. GEO. M. VERITY at Keokuk.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Patsch View Post
    At the end: there is another surviving steam sternwheel towboat, the LONE STAR, which is in LeClaire Iowa as part of the Buffalo Bill Museum. She was the last operating steam sternwheel towboat on the Upper Miss, being retired in 1966. You can climb about her inside a building put up recently to protect her, and there are other towboat related items on display in this building.
    Judy...thanks for the info! I'll make corrections!
    Alan

Alan,
    Thanks for the post. Also thanks for the info on the DILWORTH. I've added the flue collapse to my list of steamboat boiler explosions. Currently at 1,261 vessels. Like Judy, I grew up watching the LONE STAR. Lots of memories.

J.

Checked out your blog regarding the Henderson/Portland race on the Columbia River. Interesting stuff. Lots of good steamboat racing took place on the Columbia and on Puget Sound. The T.J. Potter, Greyhound and the Bailey Gatzert had many memorable encounters that would make interesting fodder for your website. Look forward to reading more...