Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine and boiler drawings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I live in the town of Assen in the Netherlands

Default Engine and boiler drawings

Hi everybody,

In 1980 I corresponded with the late Yeatman Anderson III. He was then curator of rare books & special collections of the public library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County. He was about to send me drawings of the W. W. O’Neil’, but they never arrived.

Does anyone know of the existence of such drawings (or any other drawings of western rivers paddle steamer engines & boilers)?

Maybe we can all join in an compile a list with sources of books, magazines, collections etc. Over the years I have found quite some material. I am compiling a list of my findings and I will post it here.

Willem, there is a pretty good list of reference material here on this site in other places. I would suggest Alan Bates' "steamboat Cyclopaedium" and "Engineroom Cyclopaedium" for questions pertaining to steamboat engines, boilers, etc. There is a wealth of info. out there.

As to the Cincinnati Public Library Rare books collection, Mr. Anderson retired and is no longer living. The new contact is Ms. Patricia Van Skaik.

Thank you Bob,

I think it's a good idea for me to post what I DO know about and the documents and books that I have already.

I have a copy of Alan Bates' Steamboat Cyclopoedium and I am desperatelty trying to get my hands on the Engineroom Cyclopoedium. I know Mr. Anderson has passed away. Hence my calling him "the late Yeatman Anderson III" in my post.

I have been in contact with Diane Mallstrom, Reference Librarian of Genealogy & Local History/Cincinnati Room, Public Library of Cincinnati & Hamilton County. She says: "I also had no luck in finding a blueprint of the W.W. O’NEIL. The Inland Rivers Library has had 2 major moves since 1980 so a few things might have been misplaced or lost."

I will try to contact Ms. Van Skaik (very Dutch-sounding name by the way)

Perhaps it's more difficult to find than either of Alan L. Bate's two books, but there are nice drawings of Rees engines, boilers, and auxiliary equipment in the James Rees and Sons catalog that Fred Way and Jerry Sutphin had reprinted years ago.

*Smithsonian Institution Transportation Dept.*
    Steamboating colleagues,
    Willem, Bob, Frank, I would suggest RE: above on "Engine and boiler drawings" that you hit your internet search engine to type in, call up the various departments of the Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C. with links to their great Transportation Department. S&D's own Proffessor Jack White was for years in that department until retirement, moving to Ohio with an additional position at Miami University, Oxford, Ohio. If you've never visited the various Smithsonian departments and buildings in Washington, I suggest you do so in at least a few if there. Many of the Smithsonian departments tracked by typing in on their title.

The 'National Archives' would also no doubt have related information. For a time those infernal budget cuts reduced work hours, personnel--that was until certain members of congress got miffed when they sent assistants for information they needed only to learn that their own decisions cut services. Hope this helps as, again, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
    Old coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

I've found this old International Correspondents Schools book to be quite good. It's available on amazon.com or for free on google books.

Marine Boilers ; Marine Engines ; Western River Steamboats: International Correspondence Schools: 9781295716852: Amazon.com: Books

https://books.google.com/books?id=4Q...page&q&f=false

I've also found information by searching through google's patent database.

https://patents.google.com/

*International Correspondents Etc.*
    Jason, thanks for the 'links' above you found RE: 'Engine and boiler drawings Etc.' Great sources of information for Willem and others. I added the one with complete text to my 'Favorites' on computer for further reference. A poster here several years ago did reference Correspondence School manuals but this now nails it. Cheers!

R. Dale Flick
    Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

Here re is a list of books and printed articles on my bookshelves I’ve studied so far. Perhaps this is not the most practicle format, but I am cataloging sort of a biblography in MS Word.
    Recent addition: info on the Missouri Packet engine, thanks to and Paula Rose of the Arabia Steamboat Museum and Carl Jones, forum member.
    Still trying to get my hands on Alan Bates’ “Engineroom Cyclopoedium”.
    As for photographs; try typing, “engine”, “engineer”, “interior”, “engineroom” etc. on
    https://wiki.cincinnatilibrary.org/
    http://uwdc.library.wisc.edu/collect...rosseSteamboat
    https://digital.lib.ecu.edu/search.a...time%20History
    Howard Steamboat Museum Collection
    Books I recommend: Full Steam Ahead with chapters bij Jack Custer, Alan Bates and others, and The Western River Steamboat, by Adam Kane.
    On hathitrust.org most of the sources Hunter mentions is notes can be read online. Here are just acouple:
    Cassier's magazine
    Transactions of the The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
    The Engineer
    International Marine Engineering
    Transactions of the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
    Marine engineer and naval architect.
    Transactions of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers
    Transactions of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects
    This is a list of books I have:
    Lloyd, James T. - Lloyd's Steamboat Directory and Disasters on the Western Waters 1856
    Cramer, Zaduk - The navigator
    Klein, Benjamin F. - The Ohio river handbook and picture collection
    Cunnings, Samuel - The Western pilot 1847
    Way, Fred, jr. - Oldest pilothouse, the
    U.S. corps of engineers Regulations - Ohio River, Mississippi River above Cairo, Ill. And their tributaries
    Teuton, Frank L. - Steamboating on the Upper Tennessee
    Teuton, Frank L. - Steamboat days on the Tennessee River
    Teuton, Frank L. - Log of the Julia Belle Swain, the
    Barkhau, Roy - Great steamboat race between the Natchez and the Rob't. E. Lee, the
    Hunt, James R. - Inland Rivers Library report 1977-1979
    Hunt, James R. - Inland Rivers Library report 1983-1985
    Brown, John K. - Limbs in the levee - steamboat explosions and the origins of Federal Public Welfare Regulation 1817-1852
    Hunter, Louis C. - Steamboats on the Western Rivers
    Mills, Randall V. - Stern-wheelers up Columbia
    Drago, Harry Sinclair - Steamboaters - From the early side-whellers to the big packets
    Owen, Dan - Inland Rivers record 1980
    Unknown - Natchez Steamboat (brocure)
    Various - Water trails west
    Fishbaugh, Charles Preston - From paddlewheels to propellors Petsche, Jerome E. Steamboat Petsche, Jerome E. - Bertrand, the - history, excavation and architecture
    Graham, Philip - Showboats - the history of an american institution
    Bates, Alan L. - Belle of Louisville
    Stanton, Samuel Ward - Inland Rivers steam vessels (36 drawings)
    Wayman, Norbury L. - Life on the river
    Way, Fred, jr. - Way's directory of towboats
    Way, Fred, jr. - Way's directory of packets
    Ghiltin, G. W. - Illustrated history of paddle steamers
    Gandy, Joan W. - Norman's Natchez an early photographer and his town
    Kane, Adam I. - Western River steamboat, the
    Hawley, Greg - Treasure in a cornfield
    Zurski, Ken - Wreck of the Columbia, the
    Corbin, Annalies - Life and times of the steamboat Red Cloud, the
    Bates, Alan L. - Western steamboat cyclopoedium
    Marine Iron Works - Marine Iron Works of Chicago Catalog
    Rees, James - James Rees & Sons Illustrated Catalog
    Switzer, Ronald R. - Steamboat Bertrand, the - and the Missouri river commerce
    Merrick, George Byron - Old Times on the Upper Mississppi
    Konstam Angus - Confederate Blockade Runner 1861-65
    Konstam Angus - Union River Ironclad 1861-65
    Konstam Angus - Union Monitor 1861-65
    Konstam Angus - Mississippi River Gunboats of the American Civil War 1861-65
    Konstam Angus - Confederate Ironclad 1861-65
    Russell, Charles Edward - Rafting on the Mississip', a
    Walworth, Reuben - Wheeling Bridge case, the
    Various Full - Steam Ahead
    Way, Frederick - editor - S&D Reflector vol 9 - 24
    Custer, Jack - editor - The Egregious Steamboat Journal issue 1-28 (minus issues 7 and 20)

These are articles I downloaded from hathitrust.org and OCR-ed to .rtf files:

1870 # King, W.H. - Western River Boat Engine
    1871 # Merriam, J. C. -One hundred years of progress in the United States
    1880 # Fitch, Charles H. - Report on Marine Engines and Steam Vessels in the United States
    1900 # Fehrenbatch, John - Western Rivers Steamboat Practice
    1900 # ICS staff and Paul H. Frohwein - Marine-Engine Mechanism Slide-Valve Gears
    1903 # Morrison, John H. - History of steam navigation - Chapter IV - Western Rivers
    1909 # Ward, Charles - Shallow-draught river steamers
    1978 # Sawyer, William D. - The Western river engine
    1805 # Evans, Oliver - The Abortion of the Young Steam Engineer's Guide
    1835 # Talebois, Edward - Notes of a Traveller on America Steam Navigation
    1887 # Sweeney, M - River practice of the West
    1895 # Bryan, William H. - The Western River Steamboat
    1896 # Blaisdell, A. H. - The Western River Steamboat
    1919 # Merrick, George B. and Tibbals, William R. - Genesis of Steam Navigaton on Western Rivers
    1947 # Hunter, Lewis C. - Steamboats on the Western rivers
    1830-1852 # Journal of the Franklin Institute - On the explosions od steam boilers and other articles
    1903 # Morrison, John H. - History of American steam navigation
    1903 # Chittenden, Hiran M. - History of Early Steamboat Navigation on the Missouri River Volume 1
    1978 # Johnson, Leland R. - Engineers on the twin rivers
    1889 # Gould, E. W. - Fifty years on the Mississippi
    From Intarnational Marine Engineering:
    Brown, H. H. - The River Steamer S.S. Brown - May 1909 - pages 171-179
    Baldwin, Bert L. - Pittsburg and Cincinnati Packet Line sternwheel steamer Queen City pages 5-11 (October 1897), pages 16-20 (November 1897), pages 19-22 (December 1897)
    ? - Steel towboat Sprague - September 1903 - pages 474-481
    ? - The “Doctor”as met with in Western river steamboat practice” - January, 1899 - Pages 29-31
    From the Journal of the Franklin Institute:
    Vol. VI. November 1830 Pages 352-358 - On the Safety of Steam Boats. By Professor Silliman.
    ===============================================
    Vol. VI. November 1830 Pages 327-332 - On the Explosion of Steam Boilers. By Charles Potts
    Vol. VI. November 1830 Pages 332-335 - Remarks on the frequent Explosions of Steam Engine Boilers in theUnited States, and on the construction and operation of two boilers now in use. By D. J. Burr.
    Vol VII - new series- 1831 Pages 234-237 - Explosions of Steam Boilers. By the Committee
    Vol VII - new series- 1831 Pages 237- 239 - (No. 1.) (circular.) By Robert Vaux
    Vol VII - new series- 1831 Pages 239-240 - Explosions of Steam Boilers. (No. 2.) (circular.) Thomas Cooper, Joseph Cloud, Jacob Perkins, and Frederick Graff,Esquires.
    Vol VII - new series- 1831 Pages 240-241 - Explosions of Steam Boilers. (No. 3.) (circular.) By Thomas Cooper.
    Vol VII - new series- 1831 Pages 241-242 - Explosions of Steam Boilers. (No. 4.) (circular.) By Fred. Graff.
    Vol VII - new series- 1831 Pages 242-243 - Explosions of Steam Boilers. (No. 5.) (circular.) By Jacob Perkins.
    Vol VII - new series- 1831 Pages 244-247 - On the Structure and Management of Steam Engine Boilers. By Col. S. H. Long, U. S. Engineer Corps.
    Vol VII - new series- 1831 Pages 289-295 - Propositions and Suggestions on the means of obviating or lessening the accidents incident to Navigation by Steam. By John S. Williams, Engineer.
    Vol VII - new series- 1831 Pages 306-307 - Letter from General J. Swift to one of the Committee on Explosions
    Vol VII - new series- 1831 Pages 307-308 - W.S.C. (No. IV.)
    Vol VII - new series- 1831 Pages 308-310 - Extract of a letter from Wm. Littlefield (No. V.)
    Vol VII - new series- 1831 Page 310 - Letter from a gentleman connected with the Caledonia. (No. VI.)
    Vol VII - new series- 1831 Pages 310-312 - Letter from Matthew Robinson. (No. VII.)
    Vol VII - new series- 1831 Pages 312-314 - Letter from Erasmus V. Benton (No. VIII.)
    Vol VII - new series- 1831 Pages 314-315 - Letter from Erasmus V. Benton (No. IX.)
    Vol VII - new series- 1831 Pages 315-315 - Second letter from Matthew Robinson (No. X.)
    Vol VII - new series- 1831 Pages 374-382 - Letter from L. Hebert, Esq., of London, in reply to the Circular of the Com-mittee of the Franklin Institute. (No. XI.)
    Vol VII - new series- 1831 Pages 382-388 - Letter from Thos. W. Bakewell, Esq., (No. XII.)
    Vol IX - new series- 1832 Pages 362-369 - On the Explosion of Steam Boilers. Letter from Thomas Ewbank
    Vol IX - new series- 1832 Pages 12-14 - Explosions of Steam Boilers. Extract of a letter* from Professor James Henwick, of Columbia College
    Vol IX - new series- 1832 Pages 15-16 - Explosions of Steam Boilers. Extract of a letter from the Hon. S. D. Ingham, late Secretary of the Treasury,
    Vol IX - new series- 1832 Pages 16-18 - Explosions of Steam Boilers. Extract of a letter from E. A. Lester, Esq. to the Secretary of the Treasury,
    Vol IX - new series- 1832 Pages 18-20 - Anonymous communication received from England, through P. Vaughan, Esq.
    Vol IX - new series- 1832 Pages 20-21 - To the members of the Franklin Institute. By a practical engineer.
    Vol IX - new series- 1832 Pages 22-24 - To the members of the Franklin Institute. By G.W.L.
    Vol IX - new series- 1832 Pages 24-30 - To the members of the Franklin Institute. By Thos. J Halderman
    Vol IX - new series- 1832 Pages 89-94 - To the members of the Franklin Institute. By Cadwallader Evans
    Vol IX - new series- 1832 Pages 94-99 - To the members of the Franklin Institute. Letter from John G. Cassedy Pages 94-99
    Vol IX - new series- 1832 Page 100 - Extract of a letter from James D. Woodside
    Vol IX - new series- 1832 Pages 100-101 - Letter from E. Bigelow
    Vol IX - new series- 1832 Page 101 - Extract of a letter from John D. Weird
    Vol IX - new series- 1832 Pages 346-349 - Remarks on the Explosion of Steam Boilers. Submitted by Mr. Jacob Perkins
    Vol IX - new series- 1832 Pages 362-369 - On the Explosion of Steam Boilers. Letter from Thomas Ewbank
    VOL. XIV.—No. 5.—November, 1834. Pages 353-356 - Steamboats on the Western Waters.
    Vol. I, 3rd Series - No. 1. - January, 1841. [pages 73-83] - "Steam Navigation in the United States" - Francis Anthony Chevalier de Gerstner
    Vol. XV.—3rd Series—No. 1—January, 1848. Pages 354-355 - "Extent of Steam Navigation on the Western Waters, Including the Rivers, Bayous, &c., Connected with the Mississippi by Channels Navigable for Steamers."
    Vol. XXIII.—3rd Series—No. 1—January, 1852. Pages 322-324 - Jones, A. C. "An Account of the Explosion of the Steamboat Brilliant."
    Vol. XXIII.—3rd Series—No. 1—January, 1852. Pages 415-416 - Explosion of the Steamboat “Mary Kingsland.” By A. C. Jones, Eng’r
    Vol. XXIII. - 3rd Series - No. 1 - January, 1852. Pages 322-324 - Jones, A. C. "An Account of the Explosion of the Steamboat Brilliant."

*Your extensive research listing*
    Steamboating colleagues,
    Well, Willem, to say I'm impressed with your above research sources listings putting it mildly. Obviously you've been doing your home work and very well. In short, for my records here, I'm going to run off/print a copy of your listing. Briefly scanning down, I see a number of familiar sources; others new to me. Please keep us posted.

R. Dale Flick
    Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

@ R. Dale Flick:

I will try to get "into" the Smithsonian links as you suggested. I sent a mail to Ship Plans division of the Dept. of Transportation of the National Museum of American History of the Smithsonian

@ Jason:

Yes, this is a very good book! I was lucky enough to buy an original on ebay a few month's ago, complete with the folded plates and all. Firts thing I dis was make highres scans of the plates!

@ Frank X.:

I have the Rees catalog you mention. It was indeed hard to find and very expensive, but worth every cent! I also have a 1986 reprint of the 1902-1908 Marine Iron Works of Chicaco Catalog.