Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Small Government Steamer Plans/Blueprints

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Small Government Steamer Plans/Blueprints

Hi all,
    Just curious if there are any surviving blueprints or anything to that effect of some of the small government owned sternwheelers. They all appear to have the same basic design, and it seems like there were quite a few of them. I have attached photos of the type of steamer in question. They are the "Ada" and "Louise."
    Thanks!

W.R. Dancey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steam louise.jpg 
Views:	644 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	9427   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steam ada.jpg 
Views:	534 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	9428  

*Government Steamer Plans/Blueprints*
    Hi, W.R. Dancey & Steamboating colleagues,
    Great photos of the ADA and LOUISE above. Plans for U.S. Government boats on the rivers varied widely in design, size etc. One person posting on this web who could give you some direction would be master model builder John Fryant, S&D of Pioneer Rivermen Board of Governor member. His home library, work shop for his model work a dream. I know nothing about the above or even how to begin building a model. Another source could be the National Archives, Washington, D.C. or their related links to government boats for U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Anybody else out there know? Again, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
    Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

Rabbit Hash, KY and Decatur, Al Shipyards

Default ADA & LOUISE

Perhaps they had no plans and were built the same way the old steamboats were constructed... by "eye" and "rule of thumb". That's the way the CLYDE. was built.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02549.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	9429  

Default The Clyde

I saw a boat like this about 6 weeks or maybe 8 weeks for sale for $163 thousand or maybe it was $113 thousand cannot remember which. Is this the same Clyde? Someone sent me an e mail about it but as I am a small riverboat model collector I had no place to put it . It looks like a real nice sturdy an well built boat.I hope he sells it it would make someone a nice boat.Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Fla 33064 We have 3 commercial riverboats here. A great big one a medium size one an a small one. The Liberty Belle is the big one the Jungle Queen the med. size an the Carrie B the little one.Bye

The fine looks of the CLYDE were a topic of discussion today at lunch here on the R.M.S. QUEEN MARY 2 and how cute she was sitting at the upper end of the L'ville. landing last month.

Judy Patsch would know more than me, but both the ADA and LOUISE have a strong resemblence to Streckfus' FREDDIE. I wonder if they all came from the same yard. I'm in no condition to run and, "get the book," to check right now.

Default Checking in 'the book'

I'm not on the high seas, but I am in my suite at LeRichelieu - right next to the Paul McCartney suite. I arrived this afternoon, along with my usual November arctic blast. It is 45 and very windy and not very good steamboating weather, but we were camped out in the pilothouse around a small heater which I guess I had donated from my late great B-K apartment.
    Perhaps tomorrow will bring warmer temps - at least it isn't the 11 degrees Rock Island has right now.
    Isn't this LOUISE we are discussing the same LOUISE that Gary Frommelt owns?

*LOUISE still exists today, 2014*
    Morning, Steamboating colleagues,
    S&D colleague Capt. Tom Dunn out in Saint Looooie land communicated here later yesterday "reminding" me that the cute LOUISE [See above] still exists today if not in whole then nearly so in parcel. A number of you here know/remember Gary Frommelt. Gary gave a fine program for Sons & Daughters of Pioneer Rivermen in Marietta featuring his interest in the river, family history, involvement--and he's had plenty that continue to this day.

I recalled via Tom Dunn's steel trap memory that, indeed, Gary has owned the LOUISE for now 30 years. His project of purchase, transport, renovation, sinking and now more work to restore this cute little gal continues. Not for the timid with all that wood. A daunting task and as Tom Dunn opines, "He will never finish it in my life time." Ah, so many boats needing attention and so little time. Frank, have a great time on the high seas but brace yourself for the weather back home. My month at sea won't steam out until mid February to mid March. Cheers!

R. Dale Flick
    Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River Cincinnati

Default The Louise

Where can I see a picture of the Louise? Found all kind of data on a site about it but no pic I am fairly new to the site so where can I see a photo? There is another Louise called the Angela Louise based in Sacremento Calif an its a small cute riverboat that mainly does weddings charters corporate affairs.etc Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Fla 33064

*LOUISE picture at the top here*
    Morning, Carol,
    For a fine period picture of the LOUISE and the ADA, just scroll to the top of this web to click and view W.R. Dancey's initial posting and photos. Good pictures especially of the LOUISE. These boats often changed over the years with repairs, updating, new equipment with some photos looking far different never always being static from first being entered in service. John Fryant, David Tchiggfrie and others have the keen eyes able to discern often from year to year changes on steamboats appearing in period photos. Just look at the progression of changes in the DELTA QUEEN since her first days here in Cincinnati when I was a kid. A few purist claim the DQ looked better exteriorwise then than she does now. I'm sure Gary Frommelt has more on the LOUISE than any of us could dream in photos etc. I don't have Gary's address or E=Mail at this point. Perhaps Capt. Tom Dunn could give Gary a honk to click on here. There's also a 'school' of individuals in the professional and amateur boat model building who prefer, focus on cute little boats like these. Well, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
    Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

Sorry, not the same LOUISE. This LOUISE clearly had a model bow; Gary's LOUISE has a scow bow. Many other differences as well. Gary's boat was always a "gasboat".