Thread: Riverboat Ragtimer Gone

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky

Default Riverboat Ragtimer Gone

With the uncertain fate of the GOLDENROD SHOWBOAT much in the news, many were also saddened to learn of the passing last Saturday of Trebor Tichenor, 74, well-known pianist for the St. Louis Ragtimers, which performed for many years aboard the GOLDENROD. Trebor (Robert spelled backwards) was one of the founding members of the Ragtimers in 1961.

Tichenor was an authority on Scott Joplin, wrote many articles on the subject of ragtime, taught classes on the subject and had a collection which included some 10,000 piano rolls and pieces of sheet music, some of which he exhibited on the texas deck of the Str. BECKY THATCHER at the St. Louis levee in the 1960's.

The St. Louis Ragtimers are known world-wide and have made quite a number of compact discs and videos, available from their website at The St Louis Ragtimers, as well as on eBay. I enjoyed hearing them play numerous times and I'm sure that many who visit this forum undoubtedly have heard the Ragtimers aboard the GOLDENROD and in the Boiler Room Bar of the BECKY THATCHER, their rollicking music reverberating over the cobblestones from the brightly lighted riverboats. For several decades, beginning in 1965, there was an annual ragtime festival held aboard the showboat each summer.

My sympathy to Don Franz and the remaining members of the St. Louis Ragtimers.

IMAGE: The St. Louis Ragtimers aboard the GOLDENROD SHOWBOAT. Left to right, Eric Sager, Bill Mason, Don Franz, Al Stricker and Trebor Tichenor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAGTIMERS 1.JPG 
Views:	352 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	9196