Thread: Movie Review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Movie Review

This has nothing to do with paddlewheeling your way up a lazy river, but it does have plenty to do with the hard working, heroic merchant mariners that sail the world today in not always calm waters. Unfortunately, people don't associate the job of the able body seaman or the captain and chief engineer at sea as being in the same league as those on the rivers and Great Lakes, and this movie probably won't change that. This movie will show movie goers that there is still an American Merchant Marine that still faces unholy terrors while doing their jobs.

The new movie "Captain Phillips" staring Tom Hanks is one that shows the heroism of the captain and crew of the American flagged MAERSK ALABAMA as their ship is captured by pirates off of the Horn of Africa. The readiness of the crew to preform their job in the safest manner is well illustrated, but with high power automatic weapons the pirates are using many of the anti-pirate measures just slow the criminals down.

There is not a moment in what I believe will be a future Oscar nominated movie and cast that would not be of interest to any of us whom love the water or whom earn their daily bread there. We all know how the movie ends, but it is what will happen next before Capt. Phillips is rescued that will keep the movie goer well entertained and on the edge of their seats.

Thanks for the review. I hope to catch the film on $5 Tuesday at the local cinema.

Wesley

Default DITTO

And, I will catch it on Netflix. Looking forward to it.

Just back from $5 night...WOW.
    The whole film is amazing, capped by the last scene with Tom Hanks in sickbay. Lexie - skip Netflix and see this one on the big screen.

Wesley

Default A Fun Night At The Movies

Closest big screen is over a mountain pass. In lieu of that perilous journey, we have a 60" tv in our Mineshaft Theatre and I'll bet I can get that movie on Blue Ray, and nothing is sharper. Surround sound as well. Only thing lacking is the popcorn machine.

On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky

Default Steamboats on the Silver Screen

Speaking of the silver screen: For my dad's 82nd birthday last Friday one of his gifts from me was a set of military videos which featured many of the planes he dealt with in the USAF in the early 1950's. One disc had a brief section about LST's (over 100 of which were built here at Jeffersonville during WWII)) and there was some quick, but good, footage of an LST passing the U.S. lighthouse tender Str. GREENBRIER at a landing. Seconds later appeared the Standard Oil steam towboat JACK RATHBONE underway.

Interesting what turns up when you least expect it!

*Happy Birthday to your dad on his 82nd*
    Hi, Keith,
    Great posting RE: the set of military videos for your father featuring the 100 LST's built at Jeffersonville, Str. GREENBRIER, JACK RATHBONE. My posting here is to wish your dad not only a belated Happy Birthday but wishes for many, many more. You have one fine set of parents as many of us have learned enjoying the warm hospitality at your home extended to the S&D/MOR groups over the years. Those were the days. Can't believe your dad is 82. We're all moving gradually down that road, aren't we? Cheers!

R. Dale Flick
    Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky

Default Yes, Those Were the Days!

Thank you Dale. Indeed it does seem "impossible" that my parents are now in their early 80's -- or that WE are as OLD as WE are!!!

Truly, those were the days! We have shared many exciting river experiences and known many wonderful people. Thank goodness for our memories and memorabilia!

Default KEITH!!!!!!

Ah, yes. Your longsuffering parents. Give them my regards.