Thread: Just A Few Local & Current River Pictures !

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Just A Few Local & Current River Pictures !

Greetings From New Orleans ( Actually Baton Rouge )
    Just a few local and currrent River Pictures of an inballast ( empty ) crude oil tanker in the process of making its departure from the Exxon/Mobil refinery in Baton Rouge .
    I was on another ship directly in front of the ship in the pictures and got these shots as she was turning on a " Left Helm " , off of the Exxon dock and starting her long trip down the Mississippi River to the Gulf Of Mexico .
    What I find interesting in the first two pictures is the maneurviability of the modern day " Tractor Tugs " that were on this assignment . Tactor Tug is some what of a generic term , but implies a twin screw tug boat with lower unit propulsion systems , without rudders , that have the ability to rotate a full 360 degrees , to allow the tug to operate at any angle . In this picture , for example , it shows the tug boat on the bow of the ship , backing out at a true and full 90 degree angle inorder to literally pull the bow of the ship off the Exxon dock and at regardless of the velocity of the existing river current . The temperature this morning in Baton Rouge was a balmy 34 degrees . Would our good and close friends in the Norther barren and frozen tundra of this country please keep their weather to themselves !!
    Smooh Sailing !
    Ted Davisson
    Happy New Year , To One And All !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy (2) of River Pictures 2 079.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	6354   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	River Pictures 2 081.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	6355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of River Pictures 2 100.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	6356