Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is the Delta Queen making midnight runs?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Is the Delta Queen making midnight runs?

I know this is late with this question, but I remember when Discovery Channel was here to film the Ghost Lab. I don't live too far from the railroad museum near the river. Well, There was about 2 different nights about 1 AM when I heard a whistle blow. This whistle didn't sound like the steam locamotives that operate regularly, it was a deep and very beutiful sound. I didnt think too much more on it, until I was listening to the whistles of the steamboats. When I got to the Delta Queen I was positive that whistle I heard was hers. Also, on the news that week they talked about the filming and were showing footage of the DQ running with her stack down. When they showed the paddlewheel it did't look like the films of when she came to Chattanooga, about a forth of the wheel was dark or black from where it looked as though it had not been turned in a long while. If there are any midnight runs, someone let me know. I want to ride too.

Ed,

I wish I had different news. The DELTA QUEEN has not navigated any waterway, she has been tied in as a floating hotel since she arrived at Chattanooga in February of 2009. She is not licensed to carry passengers of any kind since her retirement. Many members of this board (including myself) are working behind the scenes contacting our Representatives in Washington to do anything we can to change this horrible injustice. But as of yet, there are no cruises what so ever of the DELTA QUEEN.

Perhaps some day, that will change!

Travis

Ed, as Travis pointed out the boat has no Certificate of Inspection and cannot run at all under current conditions. We all wish that were not the case.

I do know that they maintain steam at a reduced pressure/volume to have heat, play the calliope and occaisionally blow the whistle. Though I rather doubt they would be blowing it at 1:00 am, you never can tell! Another possisbility is that there is some factory or other plant that has a Lunkenheimer whistle just like the DQ's (that is a stock whistle) that you are hearing. Atmospheric conditions do funny things with steam whistles -- that whistle you hear may only be audible under certain conditions.

In any case, the DQ has not run since being tied up at the wharf in North Chattanooga.

The DQ hasn't had any steam at all since last November, when a group from this board donated their time and expertise to get her ready for winter. One of them can post and tell us what they did, as I don't understand it very much.

I'm hoping the steam will be restored soon, as she needs to get her voice back again
    Any news on when that might happen guys?

Thanks, I never had an answer to this. When they do allow her to have steam I hope to know so I can be there to hear her sing again.

When I find out, I'll try to remember to post it here. March 17 - 22 a few of us 'river rats' will be staying on the boat - come visit and get acquainted.

Pat

Ed, The Delta Queen always has steam on her. During the winter the steam is used primarily to heat the boat and supply heat to the galley equipment, so it is kept at a low pressure. Last November there were some engineers aboard who helped me get her "winterzied" so to speak. The steam lines running to the calliope and whistle were shut off, drained and blown out with air to prevent from freezing.

Here before long when it's warm enough to not worry about freezing again we'll put steam back in those lines and her whistle and calliope both with be heard at the end of eveyr public tour. Tours are usually Friday's and Saturdays at 4:30 pm.

Who knows who will play the calliope and when? Even some of the old timers might show up!

Travis, Like Phillip said the Delta Queen has had steam on her ever since she arrived at Chattanooga, and a hired calliope player plays the instrument 3 times a week.

Cap,

My statement was a joke between Phillip and I. I was not intonating no one played it or anything bad was happpening to the boat at all. I should have sent it as a private message to Phillip. I am sorry to cause concern.

Travis