Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2010 Sternwheel Towboat Calendar available

Rabbit Hash, KY and Decatur, Al Shipyards

Default Captain Lou Plumlee

The BELLE CAROL was in Nashville when the DELTA QUEEN landed there in 1970. The BELLE's skipper was Cap'n Hawley's and my good friend, Captain Lou Plumlee who started his long and illustrious river career rafting on the Cumberland River in 1904. Cap'n Lou filled in as Mate on the AVALON, at times, and I had the distinct honor of working for him when he was there in those later AVALON days.

On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky

There's a name I hadn't heard in a while, but I certainly do remember Capt. Plumlee, who visited aboard the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE a few times and was kindly.

The new Sternwheel Towboat Calendar arrived at my landing and, as usual, is a dandy! Thanks very much -- and well done thou faithful servants!

Hey Steve thanks for the calender, great turn around time. I had it in a couple days. Have you got the book on John Beatty?

Thanks Mel, glad to hear U.S. Mail boat is running on a fast bell.

Unfortunately we have sold out of Barbara's Beatty's Navy book very recently. I don't know if there are plans for a second printing or not. You might check bookfinders.com. Used copies turn up now and then.

Sam, I've added this info to my "BELLE CAROL" file. Thanks!

Dan Owen also shared a photo from his collection of the KANAWHA at Del Ray Beach, Florida. It's probably circa 1964 when she is still the KANAWHA, but would be renamed BELLE CAROL in the not too distant future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kanawha_rebuild_550.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	4769  

thanks Steve I will. I appreciate that.

On Flintlock Farm on Gunpowder Road in Boone County, Kentucky

Mel: If you can't find one, I have one you can borrow...and it is well worth reading. Cap'n Walnut.

Thank you Cap I'll look around a bit and if'n I dont find one I'll sure take you up on it. Yeah I'm sure its well worth reading. My experience with Cap'n Beatty was mostly when he Towed the DQ while her wheel was down back in 1980. I got a good pic of the Imogene Igert towing us but never got one of the Claire E Beatty. and then I have some private footage Cap,n Bob Reynolds lent me years ago.