Thread: Steamboat model kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Steamboat model kit

Ronald Simmons made an interesting blog post recently. I tried to go to model expo, but this is not a riverboat model site. However, I did find this link to modelexpo-online. Linked is a very nice static model kit of the CHAPERON. I have not had a lot of time to browse, but there may be others as well. Modelers, check this out:
    CHAPERON - MS2190, Model Ship Kits, Proxxon Tools, Hobby Tools, Historic Wooden Ship Models, Airplane Kits, Ship modeling Books and Much More - Model Expo Hobby Shop

Bob, the kit is indeed the little Green River Packet Chaperon. I am currently building one for Dave Thomson out in CA. Unfortunately, the model falls short in the historical accuracely dept. The kit developers have painted all the cabin doors red and there is no detail inside the pilothouse. There is also a window across the front where there should be a breastboard and visor. The laser cut paddlewheel arms are way too thick and some of the cast metal fittings are innacurate - the bell is way too small and the whistle looks like a couple of blobs. There are other errors also. There is a long, long story connected with the development of this kit and I plan to tell it all in my Small Stacks Reflector column. Meanwhile, I'm correcting the faults as I find them in the course of building the kit. It's a nice kit and the laser cut parts go together very well (so Far) It does closely resemble the Chaperon but - - -. I call it the most accurate innacurate model of a Western Rivers steamboat yet produced by a hobby kit manufacturer.

By the way, I have sent a write up of the 2009 S & D meeting to the Waterways Journal along with Bill Judd's History of S & D write up. . It sould appear in a couple of weeks.

I've just updated the pages about steamboat model kits, also adding the CHAPERON model kit. See RC Paddlewheel Steamboat Model Kits | steamboats.org for a list of model kits I'm aware of being available.