Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Copyright on Delta Queen Calliope tune?

In my amateurish attempt to play the calliope, I decided to emulate, I think it was Doc, in a rendition of Tuck Me Away In My Old Kentucky Home, which is one of my favorites. This was pretty easy to copy, but I never tried it on the real thing. Occasionally I was pressed, or pressured, into service as a calliope player, but that was a last resort sort of thing, like when all the real musicians were otherwisely occupied or asleep, and, "oh my goodness, there are three people on that lock wall, go play them a couple of tunes."

Rabbit Hash, KY and Decatur, Al Shipyards

Default Clever

That's some fine song you wrote- John Hartford would surely have approved. Haunting. One that I have played over and over. The lyrics.. especially loved you calling Captain Tom Greene, Good Tom Greene, and Washing-town to make your rhyme. Cleverly done. And I heard you've never been on the DELTA QUEEN...

If the answer you got is correct - that the tunes are Cruising Down the River(on a Sunday afternoon), When You Wore a Tulip, and Here Comes the Showboat - then 2 out of 3 are in copyright - "Cruising" (1945) and "Here Comes" (1927). You're safe with "Tulip" (1914). Of course, Hartford's song is in copyright. Rule of thumb is: 1923 and earlier, out-of-copyright; anything more recent is probably protected.
    If I were producing your disc, I'd look for a recording of "Waiting for the Robert E. Lee" (1912) - a true steamboat classic and in the public domain.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyle Osborne View Post
    If the answer you got is correct - that the tunes are Cruising Down the River(on a Sunday afternoon), When You Wore a Tulip, and Here Comes the Showboat - then 2 out of 3 are in copyright - "Cruising" (1945) and "Here Comes" (1927). You're safe with "Tulip" (1914). Of course, Hartford's song is in copyright. Rule of thumb is: 1923 and earlier, out-of-copyright; anything more recent is probably protected.
    If I were producing your disc, I'd look for a recording of "Waiting for the Robert E. Lee" (1912) - a true steamboat classic and in the public domain.
    The answer he got is correct.

Jazzou,

What kind and overwhelming praise you have heaped upon me! I am scared I can't live up to it!

Thanks for such kind words about what went from hobby to career and back to hobby ...the greatest times of my life! I will never forget the kindness you extended several times to me over the years before my full-time steamboatin career, durring that career, and these words after it.

Travis

Hoyle,

Welcome to the boards! I am glad to see you here and have wondered what life had for you after the partial season we had together aboard the MQ. Hope all is well and again, welcome!

Travis