Thread: 1st steamboat through Lock 26

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 1st steamboat through Lock 26

Today in History notes that the first steamboat passed through the new Lock 26 at Alton in 1937. Does anybody know what boat that was?
    Of course, that new lock is no more, with the newer bigger set a bit downriver.
    The opening of the new Keokuk lock 19 on June 10, 1913, was greatly publicized with the famous photo of the G.W. HILL and the Streckfus' SIDNEY in the lock together (controversy on who was first), but who did the honors at Alton 72 years ago today?

A note in my junk boxes says that on June 7, 1938 at the official dedication the Str. J.S. and the Corps boat Mississippi shared the honors. As we all know the lock chamber was probably operational long before the dedication and its possible another boat was first.

Default First noted boats

Thanks - that makes sense that a Corps boat would be so honored, and to include a Streckfus boat representing the UMR's biggest passenger line adds up too. All that was needed was a representative of the IWC for the towing industry...

On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky

In my archives is this image of the J.S. DELUXE in the Alton lock on June 7, 1938. I do not know the name of the diesel boat, but Dan Owen or some other towboat sleuth undoubtedly will be able to tell us!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JS Deluxe & towboat in Alton Lock  1938.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	3630  

Keith I might have made a mistake in my first post. It was info from a note made long ago. I assumed the Corps Mississippi, but now with your photo I would guess its the towboat Mississippi (T1838) owned by Mississippi Lime at Alton, Illinois.

On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky

Thanks, Capt. Bill, for that information. As you well know, the Str. MISSISSIPPI III has long been a special interest of mine and I have "tons" of photos and information about her career. Her presence at the Alton lock opening didn't ring a bell, but I continually learn new facts about the boat so thought it was possible. Now that you mention the Mississippi Lime Company's towboat MISSISSIPPI, that makes better sense!