Thread: Capt. Jim and Loretta Howard

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky

Default Capt. Jim and Loretta Howard

While scanning some photos for a project at the museum, I thought y'all might be interested in seeing them as well. The first photo of Capt. Jim shows him making "souvenirs" utilizing wood from the cabin arches of the ROBT. E. LEE. A number of these miniature bitts and pilotwheel spokes still survive in collections. The second view has Capt. Jim with some OLD boat models. Loretta Howard is pictured holding a silver pitcher from the Str. JOHN W. CANNON, with other steamboat silver displayed on the dining room mantel. All three images were taken in 1951. Capt. Jim passed away in 1956 and the mansion became a museum in 1958. Loretta passed away in 1978 at age 93. She was an amazing lady and I so wish I could have some more conversations with her. Sorry to say, I was but two years old when Capt. Jim departed, so never had the opportunity to meet him. However, those who attend the next River Ramblings program on July 18th will get to hear Capt. Alan Bates talk firsthand about his friendship with Capt. Jim. Hope you can be "on deck'!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capt. Jim Howard making Robt E. Lee souvenirs.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	3533   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capt. Jim Howard & Boat Models.jpg 
Views:	592 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	3534   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loretta Howard & Steamboat Silver  1951.jpg 
Views:	546 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	3535