Thread: Coney Island Calliopes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lake George, NY (originally New Orleans, LA)

speaking of calliopes, I have been doing a little work on the one aboard the Minne. I painted the manifold, and though I wanted to polish and tune, things didn't work out the way i wanted it to. All the following happened today (funny stories). First, I went to tune it. The locking nuts on top were so rusted that I couldn't get a few off. Then, to my horror and surprise, the highest C broke at the base and fell onto the deck. The Marine Superintendent was able to fix it (thank god!!). I then went to polish the whistles. I had gotten the first coat onto the bass whistles when I was told that steam would be up in less than half an hour and I would need to stop. I had to just wipe off the still wet coat of brass polish and leave it for another day :_( . Then, I proceeded to try and make myself useful and test the keyboard. It was a good thing I did because I found 10 whistles that would not work due to faulty parts within the valves. A few hours and more work later, 6 of the 10 (the ones that play the most) were operational. New parts for the remaining 4 will come in next week, but it will just have to do for the weekend. I guess what they say is true. No good deed goes unpunished!! What started as a harmless project turned out as an entire day off spent on the roof. Oh well, its what we do!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5210020.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	3552   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5210022.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	3553   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5210027.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	3554