Thread: Stewards and other crew members

Default Stewards and other crew members

I am searching for information about Martin Knesel (or Knoesel) who is listed in the 1870's, 1880's as a steamboat steward in New Orleans. What are best sources for crew lists, etc. My goal is to match him to particular steamboats (he later became a ship's cook). Thank you very much.
    jak

Default Crew lists

Unfortunately I don't know of many, if any, places where you'd find lists of non-licensed crew members such as stewards. A catch 22 is that sometimes you'd find a list of crew in a boat's papers, or somewhere like in Fred Way's Packet Directory, but you'd have to know the boat's name to find it, and that's what you are looking for is names of boats... you might find something in old city directories. Since you are thinking of the New Orleans area, are you sure this person worked on river steamboats rather than ocean-going steamships? New Orleans had both.

Default stewards

Thanks for the prompt reply. Martin Knesel (Knoesel) is listed in the New Orleans City Director as "steward"; in census records from 1870 on is listed as "steward, steamboat" and then as "cook"; in 1909 was listed as "war cook".....
    So, I think he started on steamboats and then moved to steamships; his son Frederick was a steward on the SS George W. Kelly in 1900-1902 (it sank in 1903 coming back to New Orleans from Belize).
    jak

Default another source...

Have you looked in the Historic New Orleans Collection on Royal St., and the annex on Chartres?

Default Stewards....New Orleans collection

I have search them online and emailed to them.....to no avail; would like to visit in person and see what they might have.
    Thanks.

From the St Louis Post Dispatch, Tuesday 19 May 2009:JOHN E. CONNELLY made his final crossing Saturday 16 May 2009. Congestive heart failure at his home in suburban Pittsburgh. Age 83.

An obit appeared in the online Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Sunday 17 May 2009:Post-Gazette NOW.

Interesting article in each source.