Thread: General Slocum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default General Slocum

The PR piece on the Slocum is in error. It was not the greatest disaster. In less my Math is way off, the worst incident was the Sultana on April 27, 1865. Officialy the loss of live was 1,547 souls and probably more like 1,700. So where did the author of the Slocum book get his facts?

Bill, I thought you understood the New Yorker's notion of geography. To them a map of the United States looks like a huge city called Manhattan. To its left is a wide stream called the Hudson River. Next to the west, in fine print is "Jersey." Immediately west of that is a small circle marked "Hollywood" Anything that ever happened between "Jersey" and "Hollywood" does not matter. A New Yorker once told me, in all seriousness, that "it doesn't snow in Kentucky. That's 'way down south!"

Bill,

obviously I did a bad job when writing that book review about "Ship Ablaze - The Tragedy of the Steamboat General Slocum". a) it obviously is bad enough so that you're erroneously identifying it as a PR piece and b) for this silly mistake ignoring the Sultana explosion (and a few other horrible disasters like earthquakes); well actually, it should read "worse disaster in New York's history before the 9/11 attacks", not "US history" ... Sorry for that.

But besides that, I really enjoyed reading that book very much :-)

Franz

Franz you did a good review on the book, my use of the PR phrase was a bad choice of terms. I read the book several years ago and really enjoyed it also. By the way there is also a good book out on the EASTLAND tragedy at Chicago.

Rabbit Hash, KY and Decatur, Al Shipyards

Default Alan Huffman's Sultana Book

Much to my delight, recently, I saw an ad on D.org's Amazon Books for a book about the Sultana disaster written by my friend, Alan Huffman, formerly of Vicksburg, who was covering the river beat for the Jackson Clarion-Ledger the year I brought the flatboat replica ADVENTURE GALLEY II down the Mississippi on the way to the ill-fated World's Fair of '84. So I placed an order for a copy and I am watching my mailbox for the moment my book arrives.

Alan is the fellow who has the 1840's pre-fab house, the one with the enduring white paint I wrote about, that was built in Cincinnati, disassembled, packed aboard a flatboat and brought down the Ohio and Missip and reassembled somewhere near Rodney, Mississippi where it remained for a century and a half until Alan saved it from razing and moved it to his farm near Bolton where it has been restored to all its former splendor.

Anyway.... I am anticipating reading Alan's take on the worst maritime marine disaster in US waters.

Here is a direct link to the book mentioned by Shipyard Sam: Sultana: Surviving the Civil War, Prison, and the Worst Maritime Disaster in American History by Alan Huffman.