Thread: Str. Betsy Ann - Whistle

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky

Default Str. Betsy Ann - Whistle

Aaron: You asked about the whistle of the BETSY ANN and since we've already had quite a lengthy thread about her roof bell, I'll begin anew! The only information I have about the whistle, aside from what you already know, is that it came from the STELLA WILDS and LULA PRINCE. Also found a notation that the whistle had some problems and needed repair during the time Capt. Fred owned the BETSY. The whistle of the Str. GREENWOOD was stowed on the Greene Line wharfboat and two barrels from it were used on the BETSY while her whistle underwent repair. As to the final disposition of the whistle, this remains an unsolved mystery. Since items like the roof bell, pilotwheel, cast iron stair treads, china and other parts (the AVALON had a small auxillary boiler from the BETSY) survived, it stands to reason that the whistle went "somewhere"! Maybe it's reposing in a basement around St. Louis (where the boat was dismantled in 1940) or elsewhere and will turn up someday!

Herewith are several photos I had in my files that show the whistle. The first two were taken at the St. Louis levee in the late 1930's by Miss Ruth Ferris after the BETSY had become a towboat. The third image, given to me by Capt. C.W. Stoll, was taken from the Str. TOM GREENE during the 1930 race with the BETSY ANN at Cincinnati. The TOM won. C.W. notated that visible in the pilothouse are Capts. Fred Way and Jim Brasher.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Betsy Ann Upper Decks & Pilothouse  RF  1930's.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	3498   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Betsy Ann Pilothouse & Whistle  RF  1930's.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	3499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Betsy Ann Race With Tom Greene 1930  Lodder.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	3500