It would appear that Congressman Bruce Braley still isn't quite familiar with the DELTA QUEEN's issue:

[FONT=Arial]Thank you for contacting me regarding the Delta Queen steamboat[/FONT][FONT=Arial] and H.R. 3852, which would extend certain exemptions to fire safety standards[/FONT][FONT=Arial].[/FONT][FONT=Arial] This is an important issue and [/FONT][FONT=Arial]I appreciate you sharing[/FONT][FONT=Arial] your views with me.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]For the [/FONT][FONT=Arial]last 40 years, the Delta Queen [/FONT][FONT=Arial]has sailed under a special exemption from international stan[/FONT][FONT=Arial]dards for Safety of Life at Sea[/FONT][FONT=Arial]. Because h[/FONT][FONT=Arial]er wooden superstructure does not[/FONT][FONT=Arial] meet current fire standards, Congress has [/FONT][FONT=Arial]passed exemptions to the fire safety rule[/FONT][FONT=Arial] to [/FONT][FONT=Arial]allow her to continue to operate with the traditional, wooden hull[/FONT][FONT=Arial].[/FONT][FONT=Arial] The current exemption is set to expire in November 2008.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]I understand [/FONT][FONT=Arial]the attraction of the Delta Queen, and its historical significance. I also understand the reasons that Congress instituted fire safety standards on watercraft that carry more than 50 passengers. Please know that I am hearing from all sides on this issue, I am studying H.R. 3852, and I will keep you[/FONT][FONT=Arial]r[/FONT][FONT=Arial] concerns in mind as this issue moves forward in the 110[/FONT][FONT=Arial]th[/FONT][FONT=Arial] Congress.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]Sincerely,

Bruce Braley
Member of Congress

[/FONT]
It's nice that he (or a member of his staff) took the time to respond to constituent correspondence, and that he is willing to listen to all sides. However, I sincerely hope that his understanding of the issue is not representative of the Congress at large.