Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wake of the AMERICA trip Sunday 7/2/06

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wake of the AMERICA trip Sunday 7/2/06

Well folks the plans for our third annual JIM'S DREAM trip are made. Sorry to say to the folks who want to go but have not contacted me, the trip is about full. If you want to go, get with me at Howards on Saturday and we'll see if there have been any cancellations.
    This year we will have some very special guest pilots.....Leone, Franz and Carmen.
    Instead of retyping everything here is an email I wrote outlining the details:

.....Kenny and I did our exploratory trip to Rose Island there other day. I believe everything will work out and people should have a good time. Here are the preliminary plans...any input or suggestions would be most appreciated:
    Load at Captains Quarters at 10:30
    Leave at 11:00
    Arrive Rose Island about 12.:15.........we can't go up the creek, my boat is too big and they won't allow anything but boats with trolling motors. We will pull into the bank at the old landing on the river where the AMERICA used to land...the 3 stone columns at the park entrance are still there.
    Anyone wanting to get off can......they WILL have to WADE ashore...water about knee deep. Kenny will conduct the tour on the land to the old swimming pool, foundation stones to the old hotel, and the old bridge across 14 mile creek are still there.
    For those not wanting to get off, we will cruise up the Indiana bank about a half mile to the site where the TELEGRAPH ran aground and sank....area known as TELEGRAPGH rocks.
    1:15 back at Rose Island landing and pick up the shore excursioners.
    Lunch will be served after we depart Rose Island enroute back to the dock.
    2:30 arrive back at the dock.
    Checking costs, convenience, etc. we have decided to get fried chicken from Walmart along with potato salad and cole slaw, tea and cokes.
    We figure we could do all that for about a $5.00 contribution per person...not bad for a boat ride and lunch.
    The only troubles that I can see will be the weather...if the sun is out it will be HOT!!!!!!!!!! So everyone should dress accordingly, in fact a parasol might not be a bad idea. Kenny and I are going to bring two patio umbrellas and try to set them on the roof to provide at least a little shade. By scheduling the trip from 11:00 to about 2:30 hopefully we'll avoid the major heat of the day.
    It's a pretty trip up there and back, we'll go up the Indiana side and come back the Kentucky side.
    Any comments or suggestions will be most appreciated.
    I believe Capt. Walnut will have the MISSY accompany us again this year and hopefully after we get back from Rose Island, he might give rides on Harrods Creek.
    I will give details later about where Captain Quarters Marina is and how to get in. I'll probably pass out a map to all those that are going on Saturday when we meet a the museum.
    Let's all make it a fun day.

Jim, I keep thinking you can't top the prior year, but it seems like you always do. The thoughtful planning and the amenities you and your "crew" put into the trips on JIM"S DREAM are certainly appreciated - we're all looking forward to July 2nd!! It's going to be an interesting and fun weekend, and I do hope that you'll be joining us on June 29th for the Birthday Bash on the BELLE.

Regards,Pat

Interesting quotes from a ROSE ISLAND advertisement:

"The management has contracted for a quantity of fresh fish to be caught from the river by the Company's own fisherman and served in the various ways familiar to those who throughly enjoy the deliciouness of Ohio River fish." (This was in the 20's when there wasn't any pollution control ..yuck)

"Rose Island menu includes fresh eggs from the great flock of thrifty hens, owned and cared for by the Rose Island Company". (what is a thrifty hen?)

and finally

"the prices are right for the food we serve".

Hi all,

Those who want to "prepare" themselves for the trip. Here´s a great video/DVD about Rose Island:

http://www.roseislandvideo.com/

Not too much steamboat footage but at least a bit.

Jim, your plans sound great!

Carmen

Thanks for the link to the Rose Island video, Carmen. At the end it gives other places where it's available and the Howard Museum is one of them, so we could pick it up there possibly. Does the Howard have it, Keith?

On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky

Pat: Yes, the Howard Steamboat Museum gift shop has the Rose Island program in both VHS and DVD format.

Pat..save your money....the video isn't worth it. I have a copy which I will play while we are on our cruise and, believe me, one time is all you'll want to see.
    I'll be passing out xerox copies of a 32 page 1920's ROSE ISLAND brochure as our give away gift for this year. It has a lot more info and pictures than the vido does.
    Save your $20 and with your savings buy me a fish sandwich at Kingfish Friday evening. Hey, I like that idea!

Thanks for the head's up, Jim - You got yourself a deal for a fish sandwich, and maybe even a couple of beers Friday night! They do have it at the Howard Museum, so if anyone really has to have it, buy it there to support the Museum.
    You're right----you only watch those videos once. The ones I really do watch a lot and treasure greatly, are the ones that my river friends have put together and shared with me----like Travis, Judy, John Mullins.

On Flintlock Farm on Gunpowder Road in Boone County, Kentucky

Rose Island is of interest to me beyond the fact that it was an amusement park. One of the heros of my book, PETERS & KING was Milton Fletcher Lindsley. Milt was the Superintendent of the King Powder Company of Kings Mills Ohio...where Kings Island amusement park is located now. When King went out of the explosives business in 1958, Milt went to the Charles Town Ordnance Plant as plant manager, working for Olin. Said ordnance plant had to be very nearby Rose Island if not contiguous to it or part of it. When Milt retired to Florida, his employees are said to have supposed that he would go out in his yard and fuss at the orange trees to urge higher production! In 1998, I interviewed Noryl Hamilton who was Milt's boss at Olin (Milt had passed away). Noryl had the Chief Chemist at Kings in the 1930s and was recurited by the US Ordnance Dept to run all the TNT plants in the US (about 100 of them). I don't know if Charlestown was one of them, but the Pink Liquor by product of TNT production remains a pollution problem today where it had been run into lagoons at the time to languish.

Rose Island was a small corner of the Charlestown ammunition and bag plant.