Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Maybe we need to invoke the ghost?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Maybe we need to invoke the ghost?

Caught this online article about the Mother Ship. No mention of the SOSA issue, but does start with a recounting of the "barge hitting the bar" story.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...steamboat.html

paul

Default Barge and Bar?

Is the legend of the barge and bar true? Somewhere I recall hearing or reading that Greene Line did offer tasty beverages during Capt. Mary's lifetime.

Wesley

Default True just colorfully described

According to the early pictures seen here on this site, the Mark Twain bar which is the one that was hit by the Capt Mary B barge was next to the dining room. It still is but not as an access bar for the customers but rather a service bar.

That bar was not added until after Mary Greene's death. The Texas Bar existed but more as a tea party area than an actual bar. Also, my understanding was that dear Captain Mary was more like the MADD mother Candy Lightner as far as drinking. She was not against it- just zero tolerance for anyone who is driving or navigating the boat.

But I also have to admit (even as a former bartender) that there are many times booze does not add to one's enjoyment- it clouds it.

Need to catch up on reading the other stuff. There are others here who can post more accurate info but I liked the story Paul- thought it was good PR.

The towboat was named the MARY B, not Capt Mary, and it wasn't named after Capt. Mary.

Rabbit Hash, KY and Decatur, Al Shipyards

I believe there was a bar on the DQ long before Ma Greene's death, in fact I'm almost positive the bar was there when the boat started operating under the Greene Line banner in 1947. And NO there was no texas bar or tea party fascilities until the late '60's. The texas bar was Betty Blake's idea. Befroe the texas bar was added that area contained nothing but card tables and chairs. There where some bookshelves built onto the front side of the smokestack and the area was known as the boat's library.
    At night they would put up a long canvas cover over the windows in the texas lounge area to keep the lights from bothering the pilot.

I believe the canvas (green) curtains met their demise in the 1970/71 refurb at Avondale.

In the late 70's and early 80's there were from time to time slide shows and movies shown in the Starboard side Texas Lounge; the screen being a piece of Masonite painted white and kept behind the long bench. The "alternative" entertainment never started prior to the official "showtime" of course. Repeat passengers sometimes bringing items to show and share.

Ah yes,my friend, those were the days--we thought they would never end.

Capt. Jim Blum has opened a floodgate of memories with his comments about the "evening entertainment" offered in the "RKO Texas Lounge." One of our favorite film series was "Deluxe Transportation from the Past." They were wonderful, grainy B&W 16 mm film clips, similar to what would have been seen in old movie thater newsreels, transferred onto the old Super 8 mm format, and purchased from Blackhawk Films in Davenport. Three that I recall especially featured "Le pacquebot deluxe NORMANDIE", "Around the world on Luftschiff GRAF ZEPPELIN", and "The rise and fall of DLZ-129, Luftschiff HINDENBURG." A chalked announcement heralding the evening's "feature presentation" would mysteriously appear on the board outside the Purser's Office once passengers had descended to the Orleans Room for the evening show. As I recall, there may even have been some "occasional" slide shows featuring both river and rail transportation as well. Some of those slide shows were originally presented on the starboard after end of the cabin deck, using one of the corner crew rooms in what we called Skid Row. With the projector propped on the upper bunk, the window lowered and screen raised and propped open, the inside surface of the splashboard immediately opposite served as a gigantic screen, providing all the ambience of an outdoor drive-in theater afloat! Yes, Jim, those WERE the days. And your movie establishment in the Texas Lounge was frequented by many, passengers and crew alike. Thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories of times that will never be seen again, I'm afraid.

Default Another film to remember

Dear Dave, Jim and other fellow Steamboaters:

I just found this wonderful forum yesterday and have been having a ball reading the posts. As long as we are talking about films, let us not forget the immortal classic, "Steamboat Round the Bend." Vic Tooker and I used to exchange lines all the time. One of my favorites was when Vic would come up to me and say, "Say brother, have you seen the New Moses?" To which I would reply, "Why brother, I ain't seen the old Moses!" Bring back those old Riverboat Days. :)

"Professor" Pete Eveland

Welcome aboard, Pete!! It is wonderful to hear from you after all this time. Your ears may have been burning these past few years, as you have been mentioned in many postings on this message board, as former passengers and crew have recalled you and your superb musical talent on many occasions. Hope this won't be the last time you put in an appearance here. I'm sure many of the DQ's former people will be glad to hear your reminiscences. Again, it's great to have you with us!