Thread: A history Question.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A history Question.

I would like to know the whole story about the wheel shaft & crank assembly on display at the Howard Museum. Where and when was it made, who made it etc. I have read or heard it was once on the DQ but was never sure about that. Many thanks to those who will know - Frank Grimm- PS Thanks to Franz's instructions I think I finally figured out how to post a new thread. Hope so.

On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky

The wheel shaft on display in the rear yard of the Howard Steamboat Museum IS from the Str. DELTA QUEEN, having been removed from the boat in 1980, after the shaft cracked and was removed at Jeffboat. The wheel shaft currently on the DQ is from the DELTA KING, thanks to the foresight of those who purchased it many years ago and kept it stored should it ever be needed, which it was! Because many museum visitors could not "see" how the shaft was a paddlewheel, we had a few lightweight pseudo wheel arms and bucket planks placed on the shaft. I think the wheel shaft was forged at the Krupp Iron Works, but for more detailed information I refer you to Capt. Fred Way's book "The Saga of the Delta Queen".

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Norrington
    The wheel shaft on display in the rear yard of the Howard Steamboat Museum IS from the Str. DELTA QUEEN, having been removed from the boat in 1980, after the shaft cracked and was removed at Jeffboat. The wheel shaft currently on the DQ is from the DELTA KING, thanks to the foresight of those who purchased it many years ago and kept it stored should it ever be needed, which it was! Because many museum visitors could not "see" how the shaft was a paddlewheel, we had a few lightweight pseudo wheel arms and bucket planks placed on the shaft. I think the wheel shaft was forged at the Krupp Iron Works, but for more detailed information I refer you to Capt. Fred Way's book "The Saga of the Delta Queen".
    Thanks Keith. My uncle Bill Grimm,(now deceased) who worked at Jeff Boat from it's beginning told me that many years ago. Before that he worked for Howards. All together he had over 39 yrs. there. Guess he should know. Huh? Thanks again. - Frank -

In 1863 would a small steamboat used for smuggling have had a paddle wheel? Also how much of a crew would be needed for a boat that size?

Steamboats were used for everything including, I am sure, smuggling. Yes, it would have been propelled by a paddlewheel. The crew could have varied from twenty to a hundred or more. Small is a rather vague adjctive.

Thanks Alan. The boat I had in mind would be small enough to hide in the bayous to avoid the gunboats.

Vicki