Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Paddlewheel at Fort Pitt Bridge

David,
    Thanks for the info on the JASON's hull. Regarding the wheel, I haven't seen it in person, but wasn't it on display at Pittsburgh's "Station Square" shopping mall a few years ago? Has it been moved to its current location at the Fort Pitt bridge, or is this location part of "Station Square"?

I agree with Bernd. It's definitely missing the bucket planks.

Here is a photo of the JASON's wheel in action, June 1943. This is the same wheel that is on display, except the shaft is now from the ALEXANDER MACKENZIE, as David said. So here you can see the full diameter with bucket boards, etc.

Barbara and I inherited a bunch of JASON photos when we moved into this house, as it was the former estate of Capt. Leon Ash, the first Master of the JASON from 1941-1944.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jasonwhx.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	854  

Rabbit Hash, KY and Decatur, Al Shipyards

Default Herbert E. Jones

Here's the HERBERT E. JONES doing it's own fleet work in the west end of the Cinti harbor in the late 1950's. The HEJ was my family's fav steam workhorse, and it was always a treat when Mr. JONES was in town.

Name:	HERBERTE_JONES.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	855  

Steve,

o.k., I am convinced. What a great shot of the Jason`s wheel in action.

Thanks,
    Bernd

A picture that I found while going through my photo box....

This displays the entirety of the bucket-less sternwheel. This photo was taken by me in the summer of 2003.

Name:	wheel.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	862  

Yes, Steve, the JASON's wheel was on display at Station Square many years ago; I remember being awed by its size. Perhaps that was in 1989.

With it looking that good, it makes me want to go up there, get the wheel, and build a boat around it!

Really, it is in amazing shape for steel which has been out of doors for such a long time. It would be a good basis for a great boat!

~Travis~

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but does anyone know what's happened to the JASON's wheel? Google Maps shows the area has been repaved as a parking lot and the wheel is nowhere to be seen.

*Fate of JASON's wheel*
    Morning, Jon & gang,
    Sorry for just clicking/reading this older but interesting web question RE: the JASON's wheel. Two possible sources of information on the wheel's fate may come from the memories of Capts. Bill Judd and Bill Barr. Capt. Judd does 'lurk' here now and then with responses. No idea if Capt. Barr reads Steamboats.org. Thanks for an interesting topic and the photos from you, Don Sanders. Cheers!

R. Dale Flick
    Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.