Thread: Howard Steamboat Museum Chautauqua

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky

Default Howard Steamboat Museum Chautauqua

Probably due to better advertising, high gasoline prices keeping people closer to home and fabulous weather, the 15th annual spring festival at the Howard Steamboat Museum was a BIG success! Gate admissions on Saturday were 1500+ persons, with 632 people touring the mansion. Some people, who come just for the craft booths and entertainment, skip the house. Sunday was also very well attended, but I haven't heard the final count yet. Many thanks to Judy Patsch (a LIFE member of the museum) who came over from Rock Island for both days of the festival and ably handled the third floor tours. Jo Ann Schoen was the front gatekeeper all day on Sunday and her assistance is also much appreciated.

I was "on deck" as usual in the second floor steamboat exhibits. It is always fun to meet and greet the interesting variety of visitors who come through the museum, which this year even included my old second grade teacher! And it is always special when "river people" come calling. I enjoyed all too brief visits with Capt. Don Sanders, Tom Schiffer, Travis Vasconcelos, David and Jonathan Tschiggfrie, Capt. Alan Bates, Kadie Engstrom, Danny & Sue Back and Kenny & Ginger Howe. Ted Guillaum again provided lilting melodies as our organ grinder and, when I went outside to get some lunch, he had a large "congregation" joining in singing "Meet Me in St. Louis"! Bela Berty, in period costume, portrayed Nicholas Roosevelt, twice, as part of the performances under the big tent.

THANKS to ALL who assisted in great and small ways and to those who attended! This is the museum's largest fundraiser of the year and greatly helps to keep the doors open. It hardly seems possible, but next year we will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the museum!!! Programs and special events are already in the works, so stay tuned!
    Last edited by Keith Norrington; 05-21-2007 at 01:12 PM.