Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: m/v Zachary Taylor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default m/v Zachary Taylor

Anyone in the Louisville area know how the auction went for the m/v Zachary Taylor? Just curious as to whether she sold, and where she might be headed.

Steve, I was once a member of the Zachary Taylor sea scouts (1957-58) and the commander was named Ted Huffman. Are you related to him? Also, this boat is named Zachary Taylor II but it's history seems to go back to the late 1940's. It looks a little different than I remember the boat and when I was involved, the boat was powered by a single gasoline engine. This one has twin diesels. Was the boat expanded in a rebuilding or is this a replacement for the original ZT? As for the auction, I found a web site for the auctioneer that indicated it was sold but does not say who bought it or the sales price. They seemed to be asking $ 45,000. Is this sea scout unit now defunct or do they have a new boat? Just curious....Jim Herron

Jim,
    I'm not sure, but it may be the same Zachary Taylor that you were on. I guess it was extensively rebuilt in 1962. The price had dropped to $29,500 before the auction. I'm not related to the late Capt Ted Huffman, but was surprised when I read the name recently.

I think the sea scout unit is still around, but I don't know if they have a new vessel to replace the Zachary Taylor. Pete O'Connell would know.. Pete?

Was surprised to see some of your steam locomotive video on the RFD channel the other day. Neat footage! I guess you saw my thread about the BARBARA H added to the Microsoft Train Simulator(?).

Steve-
    We've been running a series of 10 shows on RFD-TV, beginning April 23rd.
    The show next week is on the Indiana RR, the interurban that had over 800 miles of track in Indiana. The week after that, we'll run a documentary on the railroad empire of Jim Hill, who started out in the steamboat business. The last show in the series will be the week of June 26th with a show on steam in Germany. We may get them to run Iron Crowns & Paddlewheels but I don't know when it would be.Thanks for your comments.
    -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Herron View Post
    Steve-
    We've been running a series of 10 shows on RFD-TV, beginning April 23rd.
    The show next week is on the Indiana RR, the interurban that had over 800 miles of track in Indiana. The week after that, we'll run a documentary on the railroad empire of Jim Hill, who started out in the steamboat business. The last show in the series will be the week of June 26th with a show on steam in Germany. We may get them to run Iron Crowns & Paddlewheels but I don't know when it would be.Thanks for your comments.
    -Jim
    JIm,

What is RFD TV and can I get it here in the Cincinnati area?

John,

RFD-TV is an independent station that uses cable and satellite networks to broadcast it's free shows. They are aimed at farmers and rural life, thus the name RFD as in Rural Free Delivery. Not all networks carry their shows so you would need to check with your cable or satellite provider to see if they carry RFD. You can also check the RFD web site for a list of stations and a list of programs they carry.

-JH

It's the same Zachary Taylor. The boat was a continuous rebuilding job as long as Ted Huffman lived. She was like the family axe that had three new blades and five new handles, but was the same old axe.

Rabbit Hash, KY and Decatur, Al Shipyards

Default Inspected by the RH Shipyard

The RH Shipyard Traveling Inspectors made a recent journey to see the ZT with the possibility of purchase in mind. The scout reps were very hospitable, and we did enjoy the visit, but decided the ZAC wasn't the boat for us. She did a grand pilothouse and the hull looked better than expected. One main drawback was the lack of a staircase to the Boiler (huh?) Deck and had a couple of vertical ladders going up, instead. Our guide delighted in telling that Colonel Harlan "Finger-lickin' Good" Sanders had been a wheelhouse guest. As I got stuck in the hatchway getting onto the second deck, I was curious as to how the Colonel fared making the same journey some years ago.

Pray tell... anyone know what the ZAC T brought at auction? We'd have gone 10K.

Quote Originally Posted by Shipyard Sam View Post
    The RH Shipyard Traveling Inspectors made a recent journey to see the ZT with the possibility of purchase in mind. The scout reps were very hospitable, and we did enjoy the visit, but decided the ZAC wasn't the boat for us. She did a grand pilothouse and the hull looked better than expected. One main drawback was the lack of a staircase to the Boiler (huh?) Deck and had a couple of vertical ladders going up, instead. Our guide delighted in telling that Colonel Harlan "Finger-lickin' Good" Sanders had been a wheelhouse guest. As I got stuck in the hatchway getting onto the second deck, I was curious as to how the Colonel fared making the same journey some years ago.

Pray tell... anyone know what the ZAC T brought at auction? We'd have gone 10K.

Col. Harlan Sanders was a guest several times on the ZTII, he was a large supporter of the Boy Scouts and I was aboard during several of those visits. With either an adult or Sea Scout assisting him he climbed the stern ladder to the Texas Deck.

ZTII still sits on a trailer on the boat ramp at Adams Marina, a few miles upriver from Madison, IN. Been there since '06 and they have done nothing with it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	221 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	9456