Thread: The Fish...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rabbit Hash, KY and Decatur, Al Shipyards

Default Remembering Deborah Anne "Fish" Fischbeck on the 12th anniversary of her passing.

Remembering Deborah Anne "Fish" Fischbeck on the 12th anniversary of her passing. Fish sent me this humorous story about an incident on the MQ written on her last birthday, 15 December 2006. Crew members of the day will understand and appreciate her candor:

I was on the MQ from 1977 to '79, and I was also the relief galley supervisor. Had to do the maid thing to make some actual money with not many hours. I was terrible at it, but kept my passengers entertained. What was that old miserable f*cker pilots' name, the one that hated females? I used to raid the waiter's pot stashes and make those cookies and brownies. Had to send regular ones up to the bridge, but one evening I had a batch of the potent ones cooling on a rack and he came into the galley and loaded up a big-assed plate of them saying, "The wheelhouse ain't going to get cheated this time", in this raspy voice. I told him that batch was "tough", to "take the ones off the other tray", but he just smirked and left with them. It was one of the worst pea-souper nights I could remember on the river- I kept putting my hand in front of my face and couldn't see it. I was so nervous I was nauseated thinking we were going to have a wreck or I was going to get fired, or both. Kept asking the guys who were going up there if he was eating them and they said he was wolfing them down. Didn't want to get out of my sleeping bag next-o-dark-30, but when I saw him later that day he said, “Sure enjoyed those cookies, girlie”... the only civil words he ever spoke to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kitchen-Fish.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	10471