I met her when she first came aboard the MQ. She was smart and a reader and a writer. She was lovely and didn't know it. She had a terrific wry sense of humor. She had a certain intensity about everything she did. She was totaly involved whether she was working or hiking or having fun or just watching the river go by. She also had the writers ability to step back and examine herself and others with a sense of discovery.

She wanted to learn all there was to know about steamboats and the people who steered them and the people made them go. She always wanted to know what was around the next bend in the river. She wanted to see what was on the other side of the ocean - and she did. She left those of us on the muddy water and went to sea. With time and distance I lost touch with her until a year or so ago.

She still had ever single quality that I had so admired twenty five years ago. We got to catch up with each others lives; what it was like, what happened and what it was like now. It was so nice to be able to renew the bond of friendship before she was gone - gone much too soon.

There is a hole in my heart but I am grateful that she was in my life if only for a little while.