Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Save the DELTA QUEEN (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/)
-   -   Spoke to my Rep, Doug LaMalfa's office (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/5675-spoke-my-rep-doug-lamalfas-office.html)

David Dewey 03-01-2017 07:09 PM

Spoke to my Rep, Doug LaMalfa's office

I was talking to my US Representative, Doug LaMalfa's office today, actually about my problems with the IRS and the Affordable Care Act (Covered California goofed on my 1095A and it's caused major problems for me--after 6 months, it sounds like they might be fixing their error). After sharing the good news that the problem Might be solved, I talked about meeting Rep. LaMalfa at a city event a few years ago--I actually got to introduce him--and then I talked about HR 619 and how the DQ came from California, and that I would hope he would be for the bill AND co-sponsor the bill. Because of the previous conversations I've had with this assistant, and her positive responses, I do think Rep. LaMalfa WILL hear my comments. Fingers crossed!
No to get some other folks around here who have ridden the boat to contact him!

Mike Washenko 03-05-2017 02:19 PM

That's great, it would be nice to have a co-sponsor from that far west.

Jo Ann Schoen 03-06-2017 08:27 PM

After all California is the place of her birth. They should be pushing for the exemption too!
Keep after 'em David.

Mike Washenko 03-19-2017 02:31 PM

Might do some good to mention the fate of the DK and that the DQ should not end up like the King.

R. Dale Flick 03-23-2017 06:57 AM

*RE: DQ 'Birthplace'/Proposal.*
Steamboating colleagues:
Just sleuthing back through threads here and reviewed the above Jo Ann posted about the DQ 'Birthplace' in California.

Several years back I received a phone call from California RE: the DELTA QUEEN. With all ears tuned, I listened. "There is 'thinking' with a plan out here to have the DELTA QUEEN returned for service on the Sacramento River in the cruise business. What do you think?" I had a moment of pause with chills. "You do know what you are proposing here, don't you? Who are these people and their backers? Do you realize the cost of a possible ocean tow or on a new 'lift ship?' Do you know the insurance and other government/Coast Guard regulations? What would people see cruising the Sacramento River? It isn't even the same river now with the new deep water ship channel and only a one night run from San Francisco." There was a moment of silence on the other end with no answer to my questions. Then, "Well, they could plan visits to wineries out here and things. We wonder if the old hulls of the steamboats TOM GREEN and CHRIS GREENE couldn't be rebuilt into new cruise boats?" I would have laughed if it wasn't so pathetic.

Mike, as for the "fate of the DK" I have to wonder. She's raised, restored, saved as a hotel in Sacramento. Her boilers were long removed after hard work at the aluminum mine. Her vital components used in keeping the DELTA QUEEN running. What other alternative is there? One would have to have been sacrificed for the other. Had the DK components not purchased/saved the cost of casting, milling new components for the DELTA QUEEN would have put her out of business back under GREENE LINE managment. Again, what do I know? Cheers!

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

David Dewey 03-24-2017 01:44 AM

Dale,
Thank you for pointing that out all so well--I wondered what is wrong with the "Fate of the DK." She (he?) was so close to being completely lost, all those months sunk near Rio Vista. The restoration and return to Sacramento is amazing.
As for running the DQ out here, OK, one-day cruises. How many times can you sell that? At least on the inland waterways there are many, many different trips one can take. She may be a California girl, but the majority of her history is now back there, not out here. She belongs to the world now.