Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Save the DELTA QUEEN (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/)
-   -   Some misinformation at Vicksburg Transp Museum (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/5643-some-misinformation-vicksburg-transp-museum.html)

Richard Reiff 12-14-2016 06:53 PM

Some misinformation at Vicksburg Transp Museum

We are on the AQ's Christmas Market trip, with a stop today at Vicksburg. (side note...so far a real lack of Christmas markets,but that is not the issue here). We went through the Transportation Museum wearing our DQ sweatshirts, and the the Museum Curator spotted them and proceeded to announce why the DQ will never travel again He emphatically stated it has a wooden hull, and even though they already have the exemption, (yes, he firmly stated the exemption has passed Congress earlier this year in April) the real problem is money. Without more money they can't fix the wooden hull and that the coast guard will never let it sail with a wooden hull. We tried a bit to get some proper information out to him, but he would not have any of that. He even stated that several others had argued with him before on these issues and they were dead wrong.

The only real problem I have with this is that others may actually listen to him and believe the wooden hull and "exemption has passed" issues. 'These days the more you repeat a lie the more likely people will believe it.

Oh well, back on the boat tonight.

R. Dale Flick 12-15-2016 06:07 AM

*RE: DQ 'Misinformation'*
Morning, Steamboat colleagues:
First, Richard, have a great trip on the AQ and keep us posted. How's the boat decorated for the holidays--or is it? Your report from the AQ above one of the first we've heard from anybody on here in a long time.

Your account of "misinformation at Vicksburg Transp Museum" comes as no surprise. People serving as guides usually mean well but, at times, pick up on the wrong information or go with what they are given with a brief training period. It behoves somebody from the present DQ operation in Houma to send a polite note with no reference to the incident for their guides and speakers as a correction. Rumors about the DQ have proliferated galore in the last several years even here. One out there was that "the Greene family are going to step in, buy back the boat and run her out of Cincinnati like before" along with, "the DQ will be docked and operate out of Covington, Kentucky" [across from Cincinnati]. Another I received a long distance call was, "People in California are going to buy the boat, take her back by sea, operate her on the Sacramento River." And the dangerous one, "The U.S.Coast Guard will do what Congressional representatives tell them to do on the DQ." And lastly, "Somebody is going to buy the DQ, cut her up, sell her in parts on E=Bay." [!] These are not fibs and I don't have the creativity to make up such stories. Again, the true history, on-going work, reports should come from only those directly involved with the boat. Today is Thursday with one more day to go on the Congressional working schedule if I am right. So, let those who really know with the facts and authority step up to the microphone. I've been through this again and again since working with Betty Blake and the company on the first exemption. That when Betty hauled the huge roll of paper with signatures up the steps of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C. There will never be another Betty Blake. There are some old ones like us who were there THEN with many just here NOW. Again, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Bob Reynolds 12-15-2016 07:52 AM

These kinds of rumors have unfortunately been circulating for years. And you can tell folks the DQ has, and always has had, a steel hull, and yet those same people will come back later and talk about the "wooden hull". Let's face it, those of us who follow these things know the truth and just have to keep slogging away at it. Those who don't know for the most part don't really care, but they will continue to put out those falsehoods.

On a non-steamboat-related note, just remember this goes on in ALL facets of life, on any and every issue. What appears to be truth (and what is put out there by some who claim to know) is not always the truth. This applies to all areas as well as the DQ.

Richard Reiff 12-21-2016 05:55 PM

Report from on board the AQ

This was delayed due to two things:
1. Very temperamental internet on-board the AQ
2. The trip was going so well that I did not want to jinx anything while events were unfolding...so I will post a few notes and photos on the other Riverboat board

John Fryant 01-04-2017 07:52 PM

Do any of you have a street address for that COE Museum in Vicksburg? You can reply to my email - jnoboat @aol.com

Bob Reynolds 01-04-2017 08:34 PM

USCE Lower Mississippi River Musuem
910 Washington St.
Vicksburg, MS 39183

John Fryant 01-06-2017 05:44 PM

Thanks, Bob. Happy New Year!