Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Save the DELTA QUEEN (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/)
-   -   Civics Lesson Needed (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/5579-civics-lesson-needed.html)

Jim Reising 08-12-2016 12:29 PM

Civics Lesson Needed

It's been a L O N G time since I was in Miss Potters 9th grade civics class. My question is......let's say the Honorable Senator from Kentucky puts the DQ exemption bill on the calendar for a floor vote in the Senate and the bill passes. Then what happens; does the bill go right to the President for his signature or does the bill go to the House for a vote and does the House have to schedule it for a vote since it came from the Senate?
Anybody know for sure?

Frank X. Prudent 08-12-2016 01:13 PM

If S 1717 gets voted on by the full Senate, and right now that's up to McConnell, and it passes, it will sit there until the House can vote on HR 1248. As both proposals already read the same there is no need to go to the conference committee to have the bills reconciled. If both the House and Senate pass their respective bills then they go to the president for his signature (or veto). Hopefully, this will all happen before the close of the 114th Session of Congress next January, if it doesn't it's back to square one.

The question I have is can a House member have his/her name attached to a bill as a cosponsor when the House is out of session on recess?

Jo Ann Schoen 08-14-2016 09:36 AM

Well, Frank, from my experience, you have to keep calling them back. Keep track of who you talk to and the date you talk to them. When they put you off again or say they will have someone call you, ask when you can expect a return call. Then remind them if you don't hear back, you will call back. Once they figure out you're not going away, they usually finally get something done, either they made a mistake and your Representative will not be able to co-sign at this time or they will get him on as a co-signer. But sometimes it gets to the point as has with one of my Senators, where your number comes up on caller ID and they will no longer answer your call and if you leave a message, they will no longer call you back. But then he has announced his retirement, so he's not interested in doing anything, but putting in his time. I assume to get a "better" retirement package - as he had been in Washington before. What a sad situation we have in Washington these days!

David Dewey 08-14-2016 01:17 PM

Sad to say, I don't believe we still have a government of, by, and for the people. Nowadays it's all about whomever waves enough money in their faces.
I'll keep trying, but it is becoming very frustrating! One person told me that we now live in "post-constitutional America." He may have a point!
Question: if the bill passes both houses, will the President sign it or veto it????

R. Dale Flick 08-14-2016 01:29 PM

*RE: 'Congressional caller ID/Keeping a record.*
Steamboating colleagues:
I concur with Jo Ann Schoen's above observations on 'Congressional contacts, keep a record etc.' This nothing new going back to the very first DQ exemption campaign Betty Blake instituted now more years ago than I care to remember. Back then NO computers, web sites, E=Mails with dependency on letters [Remember letters on paper in an envelope with a stamp dropped in those funny blue steel things on street corners?] or rotary dial phones. Seems things then got through just as fast or faster with a meaningful response. Jo Ann right RE" "caller ID" now with a congressional office intern or assistant scanning all first, deleting. My DQ letters of support on paper usually at the bottom show where I type Cc: with a listing of names I wrote to additionally so the recipient clearly sees all names concerned in the initiative. Idea and approach being that many seeing the listing of Cc: persons they know. But NEVER, NEVER use the same E=Mail or letter on paper exactly the same in appearance and text with the same names known to them on either side of he congressional aisle as recipients regard them as being merely "ground out" on a computer printer en mass. Today's computer technology allows recipients to quickly scan and delete at their will. And AGAIN avoid here or in other places making up a new "list of those we love to hate" as admittedly happened here and on other sites RE: the DQ.

Then, if you're persistent enough, some congressional reps will actually phone back to "Talk about this issue...get more in-depth information, facts...no romance and just as you know and see it," they say. And NEVER expect or demand any "promise or guarantee" from your contact taking care of the tone and tenor of your voice. Those re-contacting representatives again can be assured they have you again on caller ID or computer. I've had the offices of congressional reps stop asking me, "Now, Mr. Flick, I do believe we have heard from you previously on this matter haven't we?" In time letters, calls, E=Mails are tabulated and laid out printed or in stacks for count, appraisal and eventual vote--if we're lucky--by secretaries or staffs of fresh, rosy faced young 'interns' given the 'boiler room jobs.'
And you can FORGET it promptly corresponding, calling a congressional rep you are NOT a resident in their district. If outside their district they don't receive your vote and that's generally it--but there are a few exceptions. Betty Blake not only a whiz at marketing, public relations but also the political process with her own father in Kentucky politics who taught her the ropes from A to Z. No, there will never be another Betty Blake. And, as one wise witness to her wrote on here, "Most people would not have liked Betty Blake." My mumbled response was, "And Betty Blake didn't like most of us." She did learn to come to the river community for ideas, input, soundings in time when her back and that of the company was against the wall. This something most to all present day river cruise lines refuse to do from those who could be their honest supporters. My response to them is, "Spurn honest interest and support in haste and you'll come to resent it in leisure." Well, again, looking back in this process now over 50 years, I ask myself what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Summer on the northern shores of mighty Lake Michigan.