Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Save the DELTA QUEEN (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/)
-   -   Pictures of Delta Queen in Holma, LA: March 2016 (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/5528-pictures-delta-queen-holma-la-march-2016-a.html)

Pat Engle 03-29-2016 08:10 PM

Pictures of Delta Queen in Holma, LA: March 2016

Whenever Karen and I would travel along the (Mississippi) River Rd we would research where the steamboats were so we could chase them and take pictures of them in ports or on the river during our travels.

So, searching for the Delta Queen in Holma seemed like a fun challenge. I pulled up some articles and some video reports from the Internet along with Google maps and took an educated guess where it was.

It was right where we thought it was. I uploaded the pictures for everyone to view.

[url]https://englepj.smugmug.com/Delta-Queen-March-2016[/url]

If you want to find the boat - it sits south of the 3 orange barges in this Google Maps satellite view.
[url]https://www.google.com/maps/@29.5949169,-90.66026,869m/data=!3m1!1e3[/url]

Judy Patsch 03-30-2016 08:44 AM

Thanks

Thanks for posting these. Others have been aboard at the invitation of the owners but were not allowed to take any pictures or talk about what they saw. In this case, it doesn't seem that silence is golden...while your exterior shots show a lot of rough edges, I have to say she looks a lot better mold-wise that the MISSISSIPPI QUEEN did as I watched her rot over in the Harvey Canal. These pix have raised my hope some - but without that exemption, it will be false hope. One other bright spot: the whistle is still there. Phillip, in your visit this weekend, would it be prudent to store it with the other irreplaceable brass items???

Jim Reising 03-30-2016 08:49 AM

Thanks, the pictures are most interesting.

Phillip Johnson 03-30-2016 10:01 AM

[QUOTE=Judy Patsch;35467]One other bright spot: the whistle is still there. Phillip, in your visit this weekend, would it be prudent to store it with the other irreplaceable brass items???[/QUOTE]

Look closer, thats not the real whistle, but a fake (apparently a convincing one!). The DQ's famed Lunkenheimer whistle has been safely stowed away for a couple years now in a secure location, along with all of the other brass, gauges, signage, etc.

These pictures, while not flattering to the Queen's image show a primarily cosmetically poor condition, and the result of sitting in humid Louisiana. The very wood that has put the DQ in her current situation is also her best defense against mold. Unlike the all steel Mississippi Queen, the Delta Queen doesn't sweat during temperature swings like the steel bulkheads of the MQ (and even the AQ when she was in layup). The interior of the Delta Queen remains dry and free of mold and mildew thanks to the active ventilation we have working. The only areas where we have had to be vigilant on mold is the lower hull and crew quarters, but we have dehumidifiers running down there and have not had any issues. This is the same practice that was used before when the DQ was laid up in NOLA after 9/11, and so far is yielding similar results.

The wood rot along the edges of the decks is a result of wasted away deck drains that allowed any rain water landing on the deck to penetrate the wood structure. All of these drains were replaced last year and the areas around them renewed with new wood, sealed and painted. Now we're slowly getting back to addressing the damage caused by the rusted out drains. While she may not look pretty, our primary goal when the boat reached Houma was to seal her up and stop the leaks, and to that end we have been successful.

These images really speak to why we must continue fighting for the exemption, the boat needs to be able to generate revenue for herself so these issues can be addressed. The funds for the major restoration work needed are waiting, but won't be made available to use until the exemption is passed. Financial institutions need to know the boat can pay them back, and cruising with an exemption is how she can do that.

Phillip

Wesley Paulson 03-30-2016 11:09 AM

Phillip,

Thanks for the updates.

Wesley

Mike Washenko 03-30-2016 12:56 PM

Well said Phillip.

She looks just like she did when I saw her on March 1st.

Wesley Paulson 03-30-2016 02:05 PM

How do we get press for Delta Queen to match the coverage of SS United States, which in my opinion is ship that is a real long shot compared with the future for Her Majesty? Are there travel writers and agents who faithfully covered Delta Queen who can lend a hand today? Where is Phyllis Dale these days?

The saga of ACL vs DQSB certainly has potential as a David and Goliath tale.

Wesley

Jo Ann Schoen 03-30-2016 05:17 PM

WOW!! She looks great to me. Obviously, the last several owners did nothing but slap a coat of paint over the issues. Thank Heavens! we have owners that care and will make the necessary cosmetic repairs to keep her pristine for years to come! COME ON CONGRESS!!!

R. Dale Flick 03-31-2016 04:51 AM

*DQ Pixs at Houma*
Morning, Steamboating colleagues:
Pat, many, many thanks for the photo 'tour' of the DQ currently docked at Houma in a virtual pictorial narrative. I had a 'glitch' of my own here opening the photos finally working it out with all opening up via another brouser. Glad to hear much of the boat's vital metal work: whistle, gagues, brass fittings etc. removed, secured. The pictures that 'got me' and haunting was the DQ's somewhat ragged American flag flying proudly, her wheel surrounded by all that floating water vegetation. Was that water hyacinth? I agree with one poster about paint. Old salts in the navy used to say, "You can hide a multitude of sins with a coat of paint." Glad hearing they are keeping the mold problem under control. I've also ditigized, had posted some of my old, old DQ and other river 35 mm. slides going back 55 years or older from the 'dusty boxes' for posting on FACEBOOK and the web site for S&D of Pioneer Rivermen. Cheers to all!

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

Ron Anderson 03-31-2016 11:58 AM

Up at 3:51 AM?

Dude......