Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Save the DELTA QUEEN (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/)
-   -   A Compomise and/or Another Idea (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/5526-compomise-another-idea.html)

Jim Reising 03-29-2016 11:46 AM

A Compomise and/or Another Idea

Here is something I've been thinking about (or as my wife says , "another one of your stupid ideas").
Since it looks like a straight exemption is going to be hard to get and "boatels" never being sucessful, go to the Coast Guard and try to work out a compromise....suggest not running the boat at night instead tie her up at some city where the local fire department can help in case of emergency. In other words Her Majesty is an excursion boat for 12 hours and a hotel for 12 hours. Of course they would have to get an agreement with the fire department in whatever city was chosen and the Coast Guard would probably have to approve the arrangement. I'm sure whichever town was chosen for overnight visits would love having a couple of hundred money spending tourists and the local fire department would welcome any additional revenue the boat would pay them for their service.
OR...carry 49 overnight passengers and day time excursion passengers who be bused to a local hotel overnight. Probably this arrangement would bring the boat more revenue because in addition to 49 overnight passengers the boat could carry perhaps 300 day time excursionists.
In both the senerio's the boat couldn't tramp up and down the river it would be captive to one area stopping at just one or two cities. There is a business model already in place for this kind of operation....the TWILIGHT.
I would run trips like these out of New Orleans west to Cajun Country....with all the TV exposure the "swamp people" are getting these days there is a definite interest in this area of the county and the boat wouldn't be competing in the NOLA/Baton Rouge trade. Also the boat could operate year round.
But what do I know? or as my wife says "nothing"!

Ron Anderson 03-29-2016 01:46 PM

Thats a good idea.

BTW, when did your wife begin disrespecting your mind?
I'm beginning at 54 to believe I live with the smartest woman to ever live.

R. Dale Flick 03-30-2016 08:04 AM

*Compromise/12 hours docked etc.*
Morning, Steamboating colleagues:
Jim, read your observations, suggestions with much interest. Again and again we've heard something of the 'plan' to cruise the DELTA QUEEN during the day, dock at night with other variations on housing the said on/around 50 passengers in hotels ashore resembling a quasi cruise and excursion vessel. Unfortunately, no '12 hour plan' would work or even be accepted. No matter if you have passengers aboard any boat cruising or tied up, you still have passengers aboard with continuing regulations governing operations, safety, food/beverage etc. Again, I don't pose as a naysayer always positive, willing to promote the current exemption--within reason and reality.

Again and again I've heard statements here and there, "The U.S. Coast Guard will alter their inspection findings, recommendations if so ordered by our U.S. Congress." Now, I don't know the actual verbal and written source for this several years ago but have a good idea. This not only untrue but dangerous. Other boat/ship operators are watching the current DQ exemption closely as to what it pertains to their own operation. There are politics and then there's nasty politics as we all know. Again, our U.S. Coast Guard a member of our U.S. military family same as the Navy, Marines, Air Force, Army [Corps of Army Engineers] etc. and as such charged with clearly stated missions. For certain I know the above statement about our U.S. Congress instructing the Coast Guard to alter findings went all the way to the top. Any private for profit corporate entity 'can' accept gifts/contributions from private citizens but NEVER any tax exempt 501(C)3 or Charitable Trust. The concern must be registered with their state Attorney General, pay a 'tax' on said gifts/contributions.

Thanks also to Mike for his latest exposure on the ACL lobbying efforts RE: DQ exemption. Again remember that any lobby effort with huge amounts of cash $$ at hand not illegal and part of the political process whether we like it or not. I've also suggested when we don't like such an effort then 'join them in the same tactics if you can't beat them.' But what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati