Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Save the DELTA QUEEN (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/)
-   -   If the Bill Passes (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/5412-if-bill-passes.html)

Jim Reising 07-19-2015 01:43 PM

If the Bill Passes

I just realized that if the bill passes as written, her Majesty will only be able to run one year (I think) as the ol' gal we all love; after that, 10% of her will be changed and 10% each year after that until she is completely changed. The reason I said she'll get one year as the boat we know, I'm assuming they won't have to begin replacing combustible material until after the first operating season. I wonder if the Coast Guard will allow her to keep the beautiful wood paneling in the main cabin or the magnificent wooden grand staircase (as Alan Bates used to complain the Coast Guard didn't allow wooden window sashes in the NATCHEZ' pilothouse).
As I've said before the devils in the details and the bill as written doesn't have many details.
Food for thought.

Phillip Johnson 07-21-2015 08:45 AM

Not the case

Jim, as you have been told several times before, this 10% reduction is nothing new. The Delta Queen has been undergoing structural fire-load reduction modifications since the 1990's, and you never noticed. All of the sundeck bathrooms and forward cabins, and some of the Texas Deck have been replaced with non combustible materials, with only the visible top surface being paneled in wood. This protects the authentic appearance, while meeting the USCG requirements in order to let the vessel sail. I think you'd be shocked how much of the Delta Queen is non-combustible already.

Like you said, the devil is in the details, and thankfully those who now own the Delta Queen are deep into the details of it. In getting the exemption considered, there had to be some trade-offs. As with any bill, the details will be defined in the legislative language once its passed. It sure beats the alternative of letting the boat sit and rot somewhere because the only way to ensure she survives is to see her sail and generate some revenue.

Jim Reising 07-23-2015 08:59 AM

Thank you, Phil, once again I opened my big mouth without knowing all the facts. I must say I assumed that "annual structural alterations to at least 10% of the area that are not constructed of fire retardant materials" meant all wood, down to the steel framework, had to be removed. Apparently, I was mistaken, thank you for enlightening me and others who assumed the same as me. Now lets get THE BILL out of committee and to the floor of both houses. I am quite optimistic that the it will pass in both houses.

David Dewey 07-24-2015 12:56 AM

How much is ACL paying their lobbyists to spread lies and kill the bill? We have to counteract that with massive letter/email writings!!

Mike Washenko 07-25-2015 11:44 AM

ACL

I wondered the same thing and asked Cornel about it. Circumstances are different this year than in 2012-13 because of the entry of Viking into the market. Part of ACL's argument was to keep the partial monopoly which they've lost. It's highly doubtful they'd be willing to spend anything to keep a smaller boat like the Queen from running. It sure doesn't make economic sense to waste the funds.

Jim Blum 07-25-2015 01:28 PM

While sitting on the porch swing this morning, coffee in hand I was looking at the latest Viking 2016 River Cruises-Vive la France! I read the description of the longships [built 2012-2016, length 443 ft., crew 50, passengers 190.....etc] then it got my attention "Sun Deck with shaded sitting area, organic herb garden, solar panels and walking track".

So when the bill passes and the DQ gets refit for service she will-to keep up with 21st Century amenities-need a organic herb garden (not just old 20th century mint boxes) & solar panels!

Current Sun Deck makes for a perfectly acceptable walking track I should think--from my mid (20th) Century mind.

Judy Patsch 07-25-2015 01:47 PM

Viking, whoopee, amenities

I'm not a big herb fan, much rather have the mint for the juleps. As to solar panels, I sat in the sun all day storing up enough solar energy and sunburn to last the whole trip. Does the Viking walking track come with calliope encouragement?????
The one thing that I would change on the DQ from my days is the bunk beds. I had difficulty getting up on the top one years ago and no way would I make it now. Making all those regular bunk bed rooms singles would not be cost effective - but it sure would be nice to have a few for singles without punishing us for having that status. Several rooms on the Texas 207,209 and the corresponding starboard ones for sure had the extra wide lower berth and a regular top bunk. I'd say that lower is comparable to today's twin xl. While it wouldn't be the most desirable size, that lower berth held two people OK (my parents) back in the day. Of course 338 etc. are a bit narrower rooms, but hey what is the difference between walking in a 24 inch area to the 'spacious' bathroom or walking in an 18 inch area? I realize this idea in no way fits the grandeur that today's boats publicize, but I don't think the DQ's reentry should try to make her 'just like everyone else'. She could be the GCG to the new DQ in 1949....

Frank X. Prudent 07-25-2015 04:58 PM

In their infinite lack of wisdom Majestic America Line added a wooden ledge behind the mattress to make those lower berths into standard twin size beds. It became a twin size lower with a standard upper berth. Hopefully, MAL's damage can and will be reversed! The extra wide lower and the built in storage spaces at the foot of the bed made those rooms quite comfortable.

Judy Patsch 07-25-2015 05:52 PM

Hey!

Hey Frank -you say that was a wooden board they put in? Remove those and there's a good part of the 10% modifications promised! :-)

Frank X. Prudent 07-25-2015 11:41 PM

Makes sense to me. So finally there will be some good that comes out of MAL's ownership of the DELTA QUEEN. It's about bloody time!