Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Save the DELTA QUEEN (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/)
-   -   Senate Bill Proposed (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/5407-senate-bill-proposed.html)

Frank X. Prudent 07-09-2015 03:13 PM

Senate Bill Proposed

Senator Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) introduced this week a companion bill to the bill already in the House which would allow the DELTA QUEEN to return to passenger service. This bill S.1717 mirrors the house bill.

It's now time to call or write your U.S. Senators.

R. Dale Flick 07-09-2015 08:46 PM

*Can't find Senate bill S.1717*
Frank & Steamboating colleagues,
Home here in Cincinnati for two weeks tending to business, medical, dental appointments before returning to the north shores of mighty Lake Michigan. I'm consulting here on impending dual eye surgery in August and again 1st of September.

Frank, something must be wrong on my end or with me. I've sleuthed, typed, cross-referenced every which way and up searching for the Senate bill S.1717 mentioned above with no luck. HELP! Must be an error on my part. I found other bills listed as S.1717 with absolutely no reference to the DELTA QUEEN initiative. Should I go in typing Senator Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) for information? Could somebody who is still out there on Steamboats.org enlighten me or drop the other shoe?

R. Dale Flick
Temporarily back in Cincinnati at old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River

Frank X. Prudent 07-09-2015 11:29 PM

[QUOTE=R. Dale Flick;34768]*Can't find Senate bill S.1717*
Home here in Cincinnati for two weeks tending to business, medical, dental appointments before returning to the north shores of mighty Lake Michigan. I'm consulting here on impending dual eye surgery in August and again 1st of September.

Frank, something must be wrong on my end or with me. I've sleuthed, typed, cross-referenced every which way and up searching for the Senate bill S.1717 mentioned above with no luck. HELP! Must be an error on my part. I found other bills listed as S.1717 with absolutely no reference to the DELTA QUEEN initiative. Should I go in typing Senator Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) for information? Could somebody who is still out there on Steamboats.org enlighten me or drop the other shoe?

R. Dale Flick
Temporarily back in Cincinnati at old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River[/QUOTE]

Try The Library of Congress' web site. That is current. The bill was just introduced in the hopper. Perhaps it's too early for the other sites to be updated and showing the bill.

Jim Alexander 07-10-2015 06:03 AM

Link To Info On Senate Bill

[QUOTE=R. Dale Flick;34768]*Can't find Senate bill S.1717*

Frank, something must be wrong on my end or with me. I've sleuthed, typed, cross-referenced every which way and up searching for the Senate bill S.1717 mentioned above with no luck. HELP! [/QUOTE]

Dale,

Here is a link to info on Senate bill S.1717:

[url]https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/1717[/url]

Best wishes on the upcoming eye surgery!

Jim

R. Dale Flick 07-10-2015 06:49 AM

Many thanks for help on S.1717*
Morning, Frank and Jim,
Thanks for the input/information on how to access Senate bill S.1717. This I will pursue after a couple of demanding chores here this AM. Thanks, Jim, for kind words on my eye surgery. Basic problem is rapidly developing cataracts in both eyes. This what I get for being a 'sun bunny' all of my life now. Those of you outside a lot please wear sun glasses and a brim cap.

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

Mike Washenko 07-10-2015 08:19 AM

S. 1717 Cosponsors

As of 9:00 this morning the bill has 7 cosponsors. Both Senators from Arkansas and Louisiana, McCaskill from Missouri and Cochran from Mississippi. The bill has been assigned to the Commerce, Science and Transportation committee.

The Thomas.gov website does not have the text yet nor does it link it to HR 1248, the bill in the House.

R. Dale Flick 07-17-2015 01:30 PM

*Senate bill S.1717/Senate session dates*
Steamboating colleagues:
Hi, Mike. Thanks for tipping me off with the above--and for your other private E=Mails off line here. I've duly pulled up reading the wording of the bill in addition to the blurry of other bills so attached. Interesting reading.

I also went on line pulling up the 'U.S. Senate Dates in Session for Year 2015' and thought it important to know in contacting, writing, calling.

1. July, 2015 - "IN" July 7 to 31. I've included also dates of weekends Sat/Sun.
2. August, 2015 - "IN" August 3 to 7. "OUT" September 8 up to and including into September 7, 2015.
3. September, 2015 - "IN" September 8 to 30. "OUT" September 23.
4. October, 2015 - "OUT" October 10 to 18th.
5. November, 2015 - "OUT" November 11 and again November 21 - 29.
6. December, 2015 - "OUT" December 19 up to and into New Year of January, 2016.

R. Dale Flick
Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

Mike Washenko 07-18-2015 02:21 PM

Dale,
Thanks for the exact dates, it shows how important it is that we get some movement on the bill. You'd think that with the salary those guys get they'd work in D.C. more than part time.

Frank X. Prudent 07-18-2015 04:06 PM

[QUOTE=Mike Washenko;34789]Dale,
Thanks for the exact dates, it shows how important it is that we get some movement on the bill. You'd think that with the salary those guys get they'd work in D.C. more than part time.[/QUOTE]

Well, they really do have to come back and at least give the appearance of mingling with us commoners every so often! ;)