Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Aboard the QUEEN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2015, 11:19 PM

Default Aboard the QUEEN

Doc and I drove over to Houma today to visit the DELTA QUEEN and Capt. Mike Williams. She is not hard to find, quite obvious as you come over the Prospect Ave. Bridge (LA 3087). She has quite a bit of land separating her from the businesses in the area and is far enough from town that I was relieved of thinking of local kids coming to do whatever to her (adults too I suppose). She is not in the pristine shining white we are used to, but when you see pictures, be aware that there is rotting wood and fading paint, but that there is also evidence of scraping and patching which has already been done by the small crew. So not all of the blotches are 'damage'. While her exterior shows the results of winter weather and no 'makeup' jobs for several years, her interior public rooms are in amazingly good shape. The only damage visible was a small area under the Texas Bar in the Forward Cabin Lounge, a result of leaking from the bar. The few staterooms that were open looked fine too. There is no way to deny there is a LOT of work to be done, but she couldn't have a more caring and positive person in charge than Capt. Mike Williams. If every Congressman could talk with him, that exemption would be on the books pronto. I never set foot on the DQ while she was in Chattanooga, afraid I'd be spooked out by being on a 'dead' boat. And while she is in worse shape now, I didn't have the feeling I was on a dead boat - not while listening to Capt. Mike as we roamed the boat. I took many pictures and several short videos, which I have posted on the Save the DQ Facebook page. I will post a few on here tonight while still in NOLA, and will try to get more posted once I get home this weekend. Then again, judging by the underwhelming response to my Live on the Levee postings, maybe it isn't worth the bother. Is there anybody out there still reading .org??????