Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Delta Queen Update - From Capitol Hill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2014, 04:37 PM

Default Delta Queen Update - From Capitol Hill

I sent a letter out last week to a recently retired liaison and senior official from Sen. Jay Rockefeller's office. My contact's wife was my high school teacher. After sending out my letter detailing the current legislation concerning the Delta Queen I received a call from him. He has called the Senator and asked for his position on the bill, details about the committee, and more.

It was indicated in the phone call that the Senator, in previous years, had significant concerns about the safety of the vessel and allowing the boat to operate with a renewed exemption. Answers to the questions are to be given in the next few weeks.

With that being said I have to say that it would appear we are not putting enough pressure on him to support the legislation. What's more troubling in my mind is that Congress will soon be in recess and leaves very little time once they return to pass the legislation--we all know what happens to bills that aren't considered at the end of a congressional year. In ways the phone call sounded positive but as you can read above, serious concerns are still being felt by the Senator.

We need to keep pushing or else I fear this bill is dead in the water. None of us want that to happen. More work needs to be done in a short amount of time, folks.

Taylor