Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Save the DELTA QUEEN (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/)
-   -   IT PASSED!!!!!! (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/5053-passed.html)

Jo Ann Schoen 09-25-2013 06:02 PM

IT PASSED!!!!!!

GLORY! GLORY! GLORY!!! She'll cruise again!!!!

Wesley Paulson 09-25-2013 06:13 PM

Great News

Somewhere Tom Greene and Jim Burns are smiling while I can imagine Miss Letha just shaking her head. Now on to the Senate.

My congratulations to Phillip and all the other players who made this happen!

Wesley

PS - Someone please tell Jane Greene unbeknownst to me my wife made a [I]meatloaf[/I] for dinner on the day HR 1961 was approved.

Victor Canfield 09-25-2013 06:42 PM

The vote was 280 Yes and 89 No votes. I viewed the debate at 5:PM and the vote at begining at 6:30 PM.

Wesley Paulson 09-25-2013 07:12 PM

Victor,

Was there anything of interest in the debate prior to the vote?

Wesley

Bill Donovan 09-25-2013 07:12 PM

What has to happen now before she can start traveling the rivers again? How I hope she'll be able to make Louisville next year for Belle's Big Birthday Bash.

Bill Judd 09-25-2013 08:25 PM

first it has to go before the Senate, chances there are good. THEN the boat has to get a new COI from the Coast Guard, chances there about the same as winning the Powerball lottery.

CJ Meyers 09-25-2013 10:55 PM

So does this mean that the is no real reason to be excited?

Jim Herron 09-25-2013 11:13 PM

WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!!

WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!! Can't wait to sign up for the first trip!

Phillip Johnson 09-25-2013 11:21 PM

[QUOTE=Bill Judd;32281]first it has to go before the Senate, chances there are good. THEN the boat has to get a new COI from the Coast Guard, chances there about the same as winning the Powerball lottery.[/QUOTE]

My advice would be to go buy your powerball tickets then. The USCG has already been approached about the planned refurbishment of the DQ and are willing to work with us, provided certain conditions are met. We too find the boats safety paramount, and are thrilled at thier willingness to work through this project with us.

Stay tuned folks, lots going on behind the scenes to make this happen. Please continue to call your senators and thank your representatives for their votes if they helped pass today's bill, HR 1961.

There is tons to be excited about! Farthest the DQ has gotten since 1998 legislatively.

Judy Patsch 09-26-2013 10:26 AM

A big first step

No need to post anything on my NOLA thread yesterday - the DQ was THE news. As I narrated the dinner cruise, I mentioned the 3 steamboats still running, and that the beloved DQ had just passed her first hurdle so I could say there are 4 steamboats still running on the Mississippi River system. She's got lots to get through yet, but you can't get through the second step until you've taken the first step, and she's done that!

My internet is spotty here so I couldn't view any of the proceedings, but I understand there was a lot of BS spewing forth from someone who sees the DQ as a competitor. Obviously the falsehoods he put out need to be corrected and this information disseminated to the Senators to preclude his misinformation campaign succeeding there. Quite frankly, if the new owners of the DQ run her with her quaint touches - like the bunk bed rooms, an occasional 'hokey' sing a long in the Texas, CRUISING IN THE DAYLIGHT, and PLENTY OF CALLIOPE PLAYING, I don't see a direct competition for those passengers who want luxury, bathrobes, large staterooms, and daylong shore stops.

Who is the committee chairman who holds the advancement of the Senate bill in their power?

Down here in the magical French Quarter, riding the NATCHEZ, and dreaming of seeing THE Queen coming round that bend on the Upper again...